Departure

In the early morning halls of the Fire Nation Palace.

Azula stopped just outside of her handmaid's chambers in the servant's quarters with her arms folded over her breasts with her usual scowl adorning her lips.

She had retired to her chambers after holding the girl for a short while.

And upon waking up she had elected to continue her new curious morning routine that involved walking to visit the girl personally.

The princess scrunched up her nose when she found herself gazing down in puzzlement to find her handmaid sleeping against the outside of her door.

"Servant!" Azula barked while she nudged the sleepy girl's face with her pointed boot.

Elle speedily snapped awake with her drowsy eyes peering upward to find herself gazing up at Azula towering above her.

The princess stood with a displeased frown adorning her regal lips while her boot still pressed into her pet's cheek.

"Mistress!" Elle squeaked just as she sat up with a naïve smile about her unbothered to awaken to the princess's boot stepping on her face.

"What are you doing?" Azula questioned in a pointed voice before placing her foot on the ground once more.

Just as soon as she voiced the query the young girl turned to peer over her shoulder with a distraught countenance.

For the briefest of moments Azula would even go so far as to say that she felt a sliver of concern.

That was to say until the girl spoke.

"T-there was a spider on my ceiling! I-it almost fell on me in my sleep! I-I turned the light on, but it kept c-creeping towards me all night long!" Elle blurted out in a comically panicked manner while Azula now glared down at her with her amber golden eyes agape in disbelief.

"A spider? You slept on the floor because of a spider?" Azula snarled with annoyance dripping from her voice while she brushed past her fretful little handmaid.

"B-but it is a very scary spider." Elle whined while she watched her mistress practically kick her door down.

"Be silent, girl! I will hear no more of this nonsense!" Azula yelled out as she stomped into her handmaid's chambers with her hands falling to her sides.

"Yes, Azula-sama." Elle mumbled lamely while she sat with her arms folded in her lap.

One moment later Azula stood with her teeth clenched together when she gazed up at the ceiling above her servant's bed to find herself glaring at a very small spider.

It was just absurd to think that her handmaid feared something so ridiculous!

There upon the ceiling resided a small yellow spider in a small sac of webbing which immediately erupted into a small spark of azure flames.

"Peasant!" Azula bellowed in a supremely entitled voice while she watched in satisfaction when her pet's little head snapped to attention.

"Your Highness?" Elle answered with a twinge of redness to her cheeks all the while remaining unbothered by the way Azula addressed her.

"Come! It is gone." Azula ordered with a snap of her fingers while she tilted her head smugly when she observed the young girl spring to her feet.

Her admirer was a silly little thing.

To be fearful of something so insignificant...

It was just even further validation that the girl would not survive without her.