Flames That Protect

The birds flew high in the horizon atop a desolate mountain ledge that sat before a vast valley that stretched on as far as the eye could see.

The air was calm and desolate.

Until a large burst of azure fire abruptly shattered the quiet mountain air.

A great stream of blue flame tore above the edge of the ridge just before the princess soared into the air with her young companion cradled against her armored bosom.

Elle lay curled up in Azula's arms with her face pressed into the powerful woman's plated chest while sweat stained callous amber golden eyes peered down at her.

Elle released a soft whimper while the princess's strong muscular womanly arms held her tight.

All the while she listened to the older girl release a dominant growl in her quivering ear.

"M-my hero." Elle stuttered with her hands grasping at the now smirking princess's shoulder pads.

"Did you really think that I was going to let you die down there? What sort of woman do you take me for?" Azula scoffed with a haughty roll of her grudgingly exhausted eyes before pulling her little girlfriend into the crook of her neck.

"I...love you, Azula-sama...with all of my heart and soul. And...I want you to know that no matter what happens...I am forever loyal." Elle confessed with an adorable blush on her cheeks while she bashfully hid her face in her mistress's ebony hair.

Never even noticing how amber golden eyes were staring down at her with an unusually softened countenance.

One that was reserved for her and her alone.

"I...know, Elle, and...I...am so very fond of you. You are a good girl." Azula spoke with affection in her stern voice while she found herself holding Elle's emotional face into her sweating cheek.

Her flames rippled below her while Elle peeked up at her with a timid smile when long fingernails gently brushed against her fair skin.

And then she began to laugh sweetly while her mighty princess released another dominant snort against her forehead.

"O-oh, Azula-sama. My princess charming." Elle swooned with her powerful princess snarling into her cheek.

"Damn right I am. And don't you forget it, peasant." Azula scoffed in a supremely pompous voice just before her boots touched down on the ridge.

The princess skillfully skidded to a stop with her blushing handmaid in her arms just when Zoi hurled herself over the edge with Nako's wrist in her free hand.

The two dropped down unceremoniously in the rocks while they lay there wide-eyed gazing up at the hot sun.

At the same moment Mai jumped over the edge with her hand pulling Ty Lee up.

The two noblewomen promptly fell down onto their knees panting with their eyes agape in pure exhaustion.

The others quickly followed suit with Saro leaping up with the other soldiers and the Dai Li dropping down alongside him.

"W-woah. My body...it feels like jelly." Ty Lee gasped before collapsing onto the ledge beside Zoi.

She was so exhausted that she didn't even care that the woman she previously hated was laying right next to her.

It was odd...

But she wasn't so certain that she felt the same about her anymore.

That wasn't to say that the woman hadn't been cruel to them.