Sophie

A day earlier in Dec 2014
Flying down the concrete sidewalk with a stolen bike. M in front of me on a similar bike and I peddle to catch up. I look to the left to see the police building. I would so get a warning for not wearing a helmet. I look to the right and the new shiny polished glass of the government office building shows my reflection as I race along just behind M. The building ends and I can no longer see my reflection. The corner comes up and I bank right in unison with M and everything feels bittersweet. I remember when phones weren't a need but a want for the distant future and every time M and I hung out we went riding. Of course not downtown because we were not old enough but it feels the same. We turn another corner not slowing down. The track is all downhill and a police car is driving up the street we are going down. M and I duck behind a car and dump our bikes walking for a few metres until the police car passes us. Then we run back and get our bikes and keep riding towards the river. "Lucky they didn't see us on the bikes we would've got a warning!" She yells over her shoulder. "Yeah" I yell back. Soon enough we make it to the suspension bridge and we cross not even getting off our bikes. While waiting for a boy that inevitably never shows up we talk and joke around. Hanging around like we used to.