Streetlights

Sometime at the start of 2014
Walking down the deserted street the young couple talked about the most inadequate things and laughed together. The Houses lining the streets were silent, not in a disturbing way. Just the shutters had been let down and the glow of light inside could barely be seen. The only noise was the couples chatter and the wind swirling through the trees lining the road all the way along. the streetlights cast spotlights in a diagonal formation along the road and the hazy light in-between was not ominous but comforting. This late into autumn the breeze was cold and the long haired brunette girl complained about how cold it was just as another small but chilling gust ran through the street and over the town taking a few stray orange leaves with it. Ignoring her comment the tall young boy looked up into the sky with his step faltering. "look at the stars." he said with a slight awed tone in his voice. she looked up past the street lights into the star littered velvet oblivion. Not being able to fully explain her long lasting awe for the stars she commented "there are so pretty." ashamed of her lack of words she looked down and kept walking. He followed catching up to her. Their breaths erupting into small clouds of white against the dark street. The only noise now was their soft proceeding footsteps. Even the breeze was holding its breath. After a few moments he asked in a low voice "you know what else is pretty?" She thought about all the amazing and intricate things she had even seen, all the pretty girls she was jealous of and asked "what?" in a almost breathless voice. He kept walking and in a whisper barely audible, creating a small cloud hardly visible he replied "You."