I'm Sorry But I Have To

*Fords Point of View

Dipper storms off. Before I can react, Mabel races after him. Stan soon follows. He doesn't seem to care about Dipper so much as Mabel. As usual.

I'm worried. He said the same thing bill had. Thank I never say thank you and that Stanley never says please. Either its true and we REALLY need to work on that or Bill is still in there. Everything else he said can wait.

I know what I have to do. I go down to my lab. Fiddleford and I have made a new memory gun. Less shatterable. I think that is a word? Maybe not. I. May be a grammar Nazi but none of my PhDs are for English.

I pick it up. Instead of the glass from before and somewhat fragile metals, its made of ultra strong, high heat resistance plastic and a new elements I found in the multiverse that is harder then diamond but turns more fluid in cold temperatures. This is then laced in titanium, which is actually not as strong as TV makes it seem. Still, its light and difficult to break. Mabel won't be able to break this one.

I turn the clog and make the little screen read: Bill-Cipher-after-Weirdmageton. I sneak upstairs with it hidden in an inside pocket on my new jacket. Its not as well fitting as my old one but once a coat is older than 40 years its honestly time to get rid of it. Mabel is already working on an exact replica for next summer.

I go into the twins room. We completely revamped it after Weirdmageton. Its a little bigger with suitable lighting on both sides. The triangle window was replaced with a stained glass forest scene. The room is all in all better but it still has moldy spots on the ceiling. Of course Mabel is fond of a few so Stan won't remove them. Not my fault when they die from mold spores. I tried.

Dipper is on the bed. His face is red and trailed with tears. He sniffs his nose that is red and runny. Mabel has him lying with his head in her lap. Stan holds both of them. Its actually kinda cute. Not really something I'd say to anyone though.

"Hey. I have one more thing that could work. Can Dipper and I be alone?" I ask. Stan stands up, dumping the kids on the floor. With a hop and a skip Mabel is back up and frolics to the door most inappropriately. She glances back and then her and Stan leave. I help Dipper up and we both sit on the bed.

"Its the memory gun, isn't it?" He finally asks. I wrap my arm around him and nod.

"I'm doing it either way. We could, in theory, be making a mistake here. You learn from these experiences. But you, I can't let you learn these so young. I'll you them back when you're 18." I say.

"Make it 21. Or 500 for all I care. I don't want them."he tells me. I nod again.

"I'm going to leave it up to you." I say.

"Are you going to do it now? Please Uncle Ford." He asks.

"Dipper, I just need to let you know. This shouldn't take away the entire memory like before. It takes away emotions from it. The more emotion, the more is erased. So you will know it happened, but not really care. Is that fine with you?" I ask. He nods. 

"Wait, before-" He starts but I pull it out and blast him. He shoots backwards. I help him to his feet. He stares blankly.

"Why am I here?" He sits up. I suck in a deep breath. This should have worked, but we haven't tested it. I just used him like an experiment! Whats wrong with me?

"Its winter in Gravity Falls! I need to do more research! Start another notebook! I'll get Mabel. Will you come to? Don't answer that, I know you will. Meet us outside in 10 minuets! "He bubbles. I exhale a breath I've been holding. There is light in his eyes and he breathes more natural. Even his movements are less scarred. He's the little boy I wanted as my apprentice again.

He won't be able to really answer my questions now, but I think I'll just watch the memories myself. Maybe I will even find about Stanley's and my kids. I did a lot to get money for research so I wouldn't be too surprised if it turns out to be true, and Stan, I'd be surprised if he didn't have kids. In fact, rumor had it when he left in high school was that Molly DeVoshion was pregnant with his kid. But nobody was able to confirm or deny that. She moved with her family to Florida without warning, feeding the rumors more.

 I pull on my new winter coat. Its another trench coat. Also tan. It has warm fur inside. Fake, of course. Mabel would kill me if it was real. This one doesn't have a busted zipper either, so I can zip it up and get warm. I pull on my boots and step outside to meet the twins.