Chapter 28

When Niall goes upstairs to get changed for the night the teasing begins again, as normal.

“Aww Zayn, you’re turning into a sap, a promise ring really?” “Look at you two, so cute, matching rings and all.” “When is the wedding?” “Are we invited, wouldn’t want to miss you two being so adorable that I’m going to puke.”

Zayn just smiles, and says. “Continue the teasing all you want, but I’m happy and Niall’s happy and that’s all that matters right now.”

****

“Niall, babe, I have to take this call. You go ahead and go downstairs to get some breakfast, I’ll be there in just a few minutes okay?” Zayn tells his boyfriend and gives him a quick kiss on the lips before pushing him out of their shared bedroom door.

It’s been a few days since Zayn gave Niall the promise ring and they’ve been happier than ever, both of them. But Zayn could sense that something was still wrong with Niall and he found out what it was. Niall was so happy that Zayn gave him that beautiful promise ring, but at the same time he was sad. Sad because he couldn’t share this with his parents, his older brother or even his two  younger brothers.

So, Zayn had decided to try and do something about it. He had been trying for the past week to get in contact with Maura, Niall’s mom, but up until now he hadn’t had the woman on the phone. He had found out her number, and he had called her multiple times but she never picked up. And now, she was calling him.

“Zayn Malik speaking.” Zayn says when he picks up the phone. He wasn’t sure, he actually was, if it was Maura, he had to make a good first impression. It would suck if he had finally gotten in contact with them and then they didn’t like it.

“Hello, this is Maura, you have been calling me for a few times and you left me a message for me to call you back?” She says, more like asked. The woman obviously had no idea who Zayn Malik was and why he was calling her this many times, and asking her to call him back.

“Yes, yes that’s me. Maura Horan right? Niall’s mother?” Zayn asks, and he hears the woman gasps on the other line. He isn’t sure whether that’s a good sign or a bad sign, but she hasn’t hung up on him yet so that’s good.

“Yes, um yes. Why are you calling me? What do you know about my son?” Maura asks and she sounds desperate. Zayn understands her though, he’d be desperate as well if he hadn’t heard from his own child for years and then suddenly gets a call about them.

“Is Niall okay, oh god. Is he okay, please tell me he is okay?” Zayn doesn’t get the chance to answer the previous questions before the woman is asking him if Niall is okay. And ofcourse Niall is okay, he’s better than ever before, but she doesn’t know that.

“Don’t worry, Niall is fine. That’s not why I called you.” Zayn explains and he can hear a sigh of relief from the other side of line.

“I called because I wanted to see if you and your family would be interested in seeing Niall? I know he’s been missing you guys a lot, but he’s too scared to call. He’s scared that you don’t want any contact with him anymore. So, I decided to call.” Zayn tells her, and it’s silent for a few minutes and Zayn almost thinks that she’s hung up on him, but he can still hear the breathing on the other line. And then there’s crying.

“Yes, ofcourse, yes, yes, yes. Thank you so much for calling, yes we’d love to see him again.” She says to Zayn through her sobbing and Zayn smiles. He’s happy. He’s happy for Niall and he’s happy for his parents as well, they obviously have been missing him just as much as he’s been missing them.

“Is it okay with you if we fly in late this evening? We could just book a hotel close to your house or something, but I’d just like to get there as soon as possible.” Zayn is sure that by now they know that he’s Niall’s boyfriend.

“Yes, yes sure. And you guys can just stay at our place, you don’t need to rent a hotel we just want to see him, that’s all.” The woman is frantic, talking fast and breathing loud. But you can hear how happy she is.

“Okay, we’ll be at your house around 9 this evening.” He tells her before they exchange goodbye’s and end the phone call.

****

Zayn pulls the boys apart for a few seconds and tell them that he has been in contact with Niall’s mom. They seem surprised but they carry on listening anyways, he tells them that they’ll be flying out tonight to go and see them and they smile. They tell him to have fun and that they’ll just take care of some business while he’s away, and they assure him that they’ll look after the house.

When he’s done talking to the guys, he takes Niall’s hand and leads him up the stairs, right into their bedroom. “Pack your stuff, we’re going somewhere.” He says.

****

Niall seems nervous, he is nervous. Zayn didn’t tell him where they were going and he put earphones in his ears as soon as they arrived, just so Niall couldn’t hear where they were going. He doesn’t like surprises, and Zayn knows this but he still surprises Niall all the time.

Although he’s nervous, he’s also kind of excited. The last time that Zayn had a surprise for him, he went to a Ed Sheeran concert and he got a promise ring so he sort of expects this surprise to be just as nice.

****

The plane just landed, and now  Niall was also being blindfolded so he couldn’t see or hear his surroundings. He was excited now, the nerves had gone away and the excitement had stayed. He wasn’t sure where they were going but he did know that he was sitting in a car and that they had been driving for a while now.

“Zayn? Where are we going?” Niall asks and instead of an answer he feels a pair of lips on his own and then, when the lips are gone again, Zayn tells him to be patient and that he’ll find out soon enough since they’ll be at their destination in just five short minutes.

They came to a stop and Niall was led towards what he guessed was a house, but it could just as well be a restaurant or anything like that. When he hears a bell being rang he’s sure that they are at a house, but he doesn’t know who’s house, and the nerves have come back to him.

“Oh my god.” Is all Niall hears before his blindfold is torn of and he’s  standing in front of a sobbing woman, his mother to be exact. Niall doesn’t know what to say, he can’t even think of anything to say and luckily he doesn’t have to say anything because his mom pulls him in a hug and they just stand there, crying into each other’s shoulder.

Zayn just stands there smiling at the two, crying because of happiness. Within a few seconds there’s even more people at the door and none of them seem to even notice Zayn, until Niall’s pulls away from all of them and turns around towards Zayn.

He walks the few steps towards Zayn and hugs him, crying into his shirt while mumbling ‘thank you’ over and over again. Zayn just holds him close, rubs his back a bit and kisses the top of his head. Niall doesn’t have to thank him, he had wanted to do that and he’s never been more happy about anything he’s done (except for giving Niall that promise ring ofcourse).

They are interrupted by Maura. “Let’s go inside boys.”

****

School has been hell, but I suddenly really felt like writing and I wrote this in just half an hour. I’ll try to update soon again and not let you guys wait for it like half a year! :)

Also PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT, I haven’t been getting a lot of comments and votes lately, so please do that again and tell me what you guys think! x