Chapter 11: Rebecca Anderson

Chapter 11—Rebecca Anderson—

“Benny’s in the fucking hospital,” I whispered to myself. I immediately typed out a reply, asking about the name of the hospital. The reason why could wait until I got there. I promptly changed out of my Karter get-up, leaving on all my basic-wig essentials, and just swapped wigs. I edited my make-up to cater to Rebecca’s face. I threw on some crappy old sweats to make it look like I’d rushed right out of bed to see Benny.

And out the window I went… again.

I walked downtown again, but not at Karter’s brisk pace. I walked with small strides with no hip-swinging involved. I looked like a pretty innocent girl. Cassie eventually texted me back.

Why? Are you coming?

Cassie, the name of the place was all I wanted to know, I didn’t need any of your clingy, obsessive words attacking me. I frowned as I thought this. I can’t catch a cab to a hospital when I don’t even know which hospital I’m going to.

Yes, I am, now shut the fuck up and tell me.

I hit send, but quickly cancelled the message. I needed to rephrase that to sound a little more like Rebecca.

Yes, I will be there soon. I’m very worried about him. Which hospital?

That was suitable. I sent the message. Sometimes it was a little hard to change identities, especially when it’s so last minute. I hailed down a cab once I reached an area of town that wasn’t purely residential, even though I still had no idea where I was heading. I told the driver that I was heading to the closest hospital and prayed that my decision would be right. I wasn’t in the mood to take another cab ride and end up with one of the previous drivers from the night.

Once I ended up at the hospital, I walked in with the same, measured steps that I’d used before. “Excuse me, miss?” I said to the woman working the front desk.

“Yes?” she said, looking over the tops of her glasses. She looked like an old, prude woman who never smiled. Her graying hair was wound up into a neat bun on the top of her head. A small, pink, flower hair clip was tucked into it, which matched her sweater.

“Umm, I was wondering if anyone by the name of Benny Jone has checked in here in the past few hours? Emergency room, I’m assuming?” I questioned. The woman typed some stuff into an old computer. She read a chart quietly.

“Yes, there is. He checked into Emergency care about 5 hours ago, but now he is in a room for the next three days. Do you wish to visit him?” she asked, no emotion clinging onto her voice.

“Yes! I would love that!” I exclaimed with a big smile.

“Visiting hours for that wing are over for the night,” she said and went back to typing loudly on her dinosaur.

“No!” I shreieked, eraning a few glares form people sitting in the room. “I-I mean it can’t be over.”

The woman stared at me for a second. “What? Are you his girlfriend?” she asked, like most old-people assume.

“No,” I said sharply. He’s already got one of those.

“Oh. Well, only family is allowed in right now,” she said, giving me more information than before. Again, she continued typing on her computer. The sounds the keys made as they were hit down was quite loud and obnoxious.