* 37 * Friends

The mare was tried but still held her head high with pride as Kordelia ran her hands all over her body and over her hooves.

In her native tongue Kordelia spoke to her, "You, my fair lady, are relentless and brave. I would proudly lay down my life for you as I know you would do the same for me but I'm afraid our paths are to quickly be parted. My beauty I know you will take me as far to Isenguard as your body will take me but I will not allow you to make such a sacrifice for my foolishness.

The mare seeming to understand threw her head up and down and pawed at the ground as if to object and argue making the Alexzandron girl smile and say, "No one can ever claim you were unfaithful or cowardly. You my lady have a greater soul than the greatest of queens. The only possible way of you could accompany me is to be riderless. I will not mount thee until thou has regained you energy but I'm afraid this journey is one which does not allow such a luxury. I'm sorry fair one but that is how it is to be. I part within the hour."

Kordelia brushed down the mare one last time and treated her well and prepped her pen before watching the beautiful creature whom stared at her as if to say, "Good bye my friend."

It was difficult to turn and walk away especially turning to find the steed in which she was to ride. A pure black stallion with an agile body stood there ready for her with a handsome boy that seemed to glow a golden hue. The boy was no doubt a fairy and most certainly ages older than she although his appearance seemed to be that of a boy around the age of 9.

Kordelia took the reins and quickly mounted and bowed her head in thanks to the fairy before looking one last time at the mare whom she gave a gesture of good bye and respect in which was common with Alexzandron loved ones.

Kordelia barely touched her heels to the black stallion before he reared up, an act that was clearly showing off, but before his front hooves could touch the ground he bound forward and took off like a fired arrow.

The tense feeling in her chest did not fade as she left the camp behind as she had hoped it would but the stallion's great speed took her far away in good time although it seemed as though they couldn't get away from the mare's calls.

Many miles later and the stallion was foaming at the breast collar and breathing heavily. He may have been agile and athletic but his stamina was not one that would last forever like all beings. She coaxed him to a comfortable walk in the dense forest and listened hard. The stallion's breathing seemed to be louder than necessary which Kordelia didn't much appreciate. There was a great deal about this stallion that just didn't seem quite right and within the next hour she discovered why.