*11* A Tomb and a Tear

It wasn't long and the company was deep into the Misty Mountains but they had not seen any sign of Ryker since the night of the fight. Snow was getting deep and the winds lashed at them like that from a whip causing the company’s spirits to fall especially after Legolas informed them of the voice on the wind which they discovered to be Saruman. Gandalf gave Frodo the choice to proceed onward over the mountains or through the mines of Moria.

Frodo looked all around as he shivered and suddenly he gasped as he saw Ryker crouched upon an ice covered rock that had fallen only moments ago. Had she fallen with the rock or had she somehow heard about their choice and had come along to find out what was going to happen. Nonetheless her presence brought both reassurance and fear. She was so intimidating and even more so now that they had seen her fight. He watched her rub her hands in an effort to keep them warm but she didn’t look away.

Frodo wanted warmth so badly and the mines sounded like the best thing. Going under the mountain and experiencing the Dwarves’ hospitality seemed foolish to pass on and so he made his decision. Little did he know what his choice would bring upon them.

They arrived at the gates of Durin where they were stumped with a riddle upon the door but Frodo was able to work his mind and answer it with Gandalf who did the translation but as soon as the doors began to open they heard Ryker yelling at them as she rode her horse hard to the them but they were too late heeding her advice for the creature, the Watcher, was upon them trying to take Frodo.

Instantly two arrows appeared on the creature’s tentacle but more of the tentacles reached out and took more victims while those still freed went about hacking and slicing at the creature in a desperate attempt to free their companions.

Legolas shot again and again and found himself smiling when he suddenly heard something that few people would ever hear again. He heard the Alexzandron war cry and what followed was something both beautiful and terrifying.

The moon beams shimmered along her blade for only a moment before it disappeared into the Watcher’s flesh. Cunning speed and agility this woman warrior portrayed in a manner that appeared like a dance that she was in full control of. She moved like an elf with grace and surefootedness but the way her sword slashed in such a bloody manner made her seem like a beast.

Those in the Watcher’s grasp were freed and pulled into the mines and just as the Watcher crumbled the exit Ryker rolled inside and onto her feet easily and in the motion she was able to sheath her sword and immediately say, “Something smells foul!”

Gimli sneered at her but went on about the hospitality of the dwarves until they came upon a horrific sight and Boromir announced, “This is no mine. It’s a tomb.”

Legolas quickly discovered an orc arrow while in a shadowed corner Ryker stood with her hawk, Celegorn. In an unfamiliar language to any of those around her she whispered to the hawk. “This is hardly the time to speak in such a manner. My friend were are surrounded by unsuspecting orcs and it is only a matter of time before the discover our presence. You know where my heart lies and how I will never break my oath and you know you and Cadeyrn are the only ones in which hold my heart. There is only room for the two of you now we must prepare to move on and pray luck is on our side my friend.”

But luck was on the wrong side for at that moment Pippin revealed their position.

Gandalf gave him a royal scolding but Ryker only cursed under her breath in Alexzandron before drawing her bow and knocking an arrow as Legolas did the same by her side and Aragorn did the same on the other and to their surprise she spoke the first words of kindness or at least the closest thing to kindness they thought they would ever hear from their mistress.

“Happy hunting lads.”

The orcs made small work on the barricaded doors as Legolas and Ryker matched arrow for arrow at the foul creatures as they advanced before it turned into hand to hand combat.

The fight was vicious with a frenzy of hideous orcs attacking until a cave troll was escorted into the room. The being attacked Frodo and seemed to have skewered the poor hobbit before Legolas could bring him down but mithril, a rare metal, had saved the hobbit however there was no time for lingering for more orcs were to arrive any moment. Quickly the company followed Gandalf with Ryker at the end with her bow drawn again ready to fight but what happened next proved that she could never be ready for everything.

In the distance orcs shot their bows but not being able to strike the company and Ryker and Celegorn were communicating through their empathy link. Ryker was walking backwards watching in the direction that the others could not as they moved forward. Celegorn was reporting what the vile beings were doing and the estimated number and possible formations and plans. He told her where their archers were placed which helped her to pick them off easily and Legolas was also able to shoot a few as they moved on quickly.

Ryker did not like the feeling in the air but made sure she kept vigilant until suddenly she heard Celegorn scream, “NO!”

Ryker had caught the movement in the dark and shot the figure and it seemed to be in slow motion that she saw the arrow come sailing toward Legolas but then suddenly Ryker felt like she had been hit by an arrow in the back causing her to arch and scream his name before she stumbled back.

Never before had Legolas heard such a bone chilling scream. The pain in it was so horrendous and unexplainable that it seemed to pierce his own heart. When he jerked around he had just enough time to catch Ryker as she fell back in obvious pain.

With shaky hands he held her and he felt his soul crumbling as he witnessed perhaps the only Alexzandron tear to ever fall. So much excruciating pain ran through her veins that Legolas wondered if he was to die right then and there with her from her sorrows.

He held her tight and whispered the only thing that would come through his mind as she lay in his arms. “Kordelia.”

The word seemed to trigger something inside for then her eyes became something that you would see in nightmares.

She pulled herself up keeping her eyes locked in his and she commanded him to go. Her voice was something very deadly and warned him not to question her. She wiped her tear away, leaving her cheek bare and clean before she whipped around and ran into the dark. A suicide mission.

“NO!” Legolas shouted at her but knew he must go on but nonetheless her scream was branded into his mind now. The way she screamed the name of her beloved hawk, her friend, was nothing short of heartbreaking even for a seasoned warrior like himself.

Under his breath he said a quick prayer that she may be protected and kept safe. Then he said a silent prayer for the hawk that had taken the arrow in which was meant for him.

*~*~*~*~*

Don't underestimate an Alexzandron.  ;)