* 27 * Head vs Heart

An army? What sort of madness was this? It would seem the world she knew was now a distant stranger and she could hardly keep things straight. Who would follow her? The Alexzandron were thought to be only legend and myth. And why the hell shouldn't she wear red?!

Thayonidas really knew how to get under her skin and she was to the point where she was dangerously closed to ripping his heart out.

He had a clever smile and said, "I can see that you have many questions running through your mind so allow me to add more to your weighing mind..." He looked at her hard for a few minutes and a shiver crept up her spine but she would not allow him to see any weakness.

He stepped closer, never allowing his eyes to stray from her and softly spoke as if it were a big secret, "You are not the only one in possession of the blood of the Alexzandron."

She jerked around and hissed, "Why do you find it necessary to lie to me? You try and tempt me by claiming I have an army of followers and to add to that dubious endeavor you try and sway me by telling one fact that I know to be completely false. I know the number of my people! I know how many graves I dug and don't think I didn't know every single one of them. Now tell me why you lie to me."

He stared her down, obviously agitated by her accusations. She knew he did not like being called a liar but in her mind she knew. She knew her people were dead.

He then looked around and took a step closer to her and said, "First things first milady. First of all we shall yet again attempt to dine together, following dinner you will return to your room where your correct wardrobe SHOULD be waiting. If not I assure you that there will be troubled souls that will not enjoy my displeasure."

"You will not command me as to what I will or will not do. I just caught you in a lie, a rather pathetic and foolish lie, therefore eradicating any sort of desire or interest as to what falls from your tongue. Now as you have gathered if you have any sort of intelligence it is that I will not be dining with you nor will I be awaiting for you to call upon me to take me to this fantasy army."

"So you believe this has been a pointless appointment?"

"No. I have verified without a doubt as to what you are but more importantly I was able to stretch my legs. You are nothing but a silver tongue demon with less worth than the dirt on your shoes."

Instead of her walking out, he was the one in which exited in an angered matter.

A smirk crossed her lips and she walked toward another door in which admitted her into the dining hall where a small feast was laid out. She did not sit in the royal high back chair with cushions, rather she sat in a rather plain wood chair and there she went about carefully examining the food before she consumed it while ignoring the wine for it was something she was a stranger to and did not trust these people and so she had water with her bread, meat, fruits, vegetables, and a small bite of a sweet pastry in which had far too much sugar for her taste. After she had filled herself with the food in which gave her instant energy she grabbed an apple and a pear and retreated to her room with her disgusting guards.

Entering her room she was surprised to find the wardrobe in which was set out for her. She looked around and realized she was alone and so she stepped forward to examine the black fabric. Something light colored stuck out and she realized it was a note. She quickly read it and found herself questioning it.

I know who you are and know you are important to the future of good. I bring this to you in a last desperate attempt to get you back in the road in which you need to take. Tonight at midnight the guards will change but for only an hour there will be three guards because of a meeting that is taking place in the woods. This will be the only time you can escape and return to the elves, dwarves, and men.

In time you will be brought some water for the evening but do not drink a drop of it. It is poisoned to make you sleep this night but to make it so no one suspects anything you must act as though you drink it.

In the bottom vanity drawer there is a crack in the wood. Underneath is a dagger, the only weapon I was able to smuggle in for you.

Remember at midnight, when the moon is bright you must escape.

Save us all!

On the back was a map that led further up the tower to a room and in the fireplace there was a secret entrance that had stairs that would lead down to the grounds where she would be free as long as she stayed hidden.

She opened the drawer and sure enough under the cracked wood was a dagger.

Inside her head she was screaming, "GO GO GO!" but her heart calmly said, "This isn't right."

She looked at the map then at the dagger and finally at the black wardrobe.

Why did everything seem wrong? She had caught Theonidas in a lie but yet her insides told her he was not lying. Why? Why? WHY?!

That was it! She was going! She couldn't think in this cage surrounded by such repulsive creatures.

She threw the note into the flames and watched it be consumed by the flames before turning to the wardrobe and putting in under the rumpled covers where it disappeared in the silk and then she paced from the fireplace to the balcony and back until a servant came in with a pitcher of water and elegant glass.

"Poison?" she inquired which startled the servant who looked up wide eyed and terrified.

"Of course not mistress." The voice sounded. "It be only water!" she set down the tray and Ryker strode over and studied the water and she nearly scoffed as she saw the lemon slices floating in the water to mask the scent of the poison.

To go along she played dumb and asked what the yellow things were for. She quickly studied them and pretended to take a drink before taking the tray and shewing away the servant.

The lemons were very tempting as was sleep but she went and laid down on the bed as if she had fainted and there she waited.

In time Thayonidas entered the room quietly. It was clear that he noticed her in her faint state and cautiously he approached her and she stayed still although her body was desperately trying to react like it had been trained to do.

Closer and closer he came until he was standing above her. It was driving her nearly mad having him so close and feeling vulnerable but she was going to try out this stupid plan. If it back fired she would do what she knew best. Fight.

Thayonidas gazed upon her for far too long and even went as far as to run the back of one of his fingers down the side of her face, neck, and clear down to her ankle. The touch sent bolts of electricity down her spine making her lips want to quiver but still she held on.

Softly his voice spoke in the darkness as he covered her with a blanket, "One day you will be free."

Never had she heard such sincere words spoken to her. Freedom. The word was heaven but she knew complete freedom was impossible. She would forever carry the burden and pain of what had happened to her people. She felt them with her all the time and knew she would never be rid of that feeling.

Thayonidas left her room and she sat up and pushed back the feel of sorrow in which tried to penetrate her heart.

Sorrow could wait. It could wait until she was dead because she had things she had to do and so she dressed in her black wardrobe and retrieved the knife and awaited for midnight.