* 73 * Listening to the Wind

She did not sleep. She was too haunted by the thoughts of marriage and confused by all in which was happening.

She knew of the love between Aragorn and Arwen and it tore her up inside knowing what this union would do to them all. She had sacrificed much to be here now, but there was the vow taken in the woods and she had yet to break a vow and did not wish to start now.

Her hope of seeing the forests in their peace would forever be a dream for as a queen she would have a duty to the people and to Aragorn.

Maddening thoughts raged through her mind as darkness quieted the kingdom and finally she went to her window to allow the breeze to whisper to her. Peaceful stillness had laid claim to Gondor with the light of the moon and stars putting the torches and lanterns to shame.

Triduana flew to her and perched on the sill and stared at the tormented girl. Kordelia gently caressed the hawk's back as she stared up at the enchanting sky where the stars seemed to dance. She had laid under this sky countless nights but never had she seen it for its true beauty. Each star was different and seemed to be smiling with secrets. She now understood why so many had found the beams of the moon romantic and intoxicating. A smile crossed her lips as she made a wish to one day dance under nothing but the light of the moon. The wind nipped at her neck and bare shoulders like a warm touch causing her to sigh before she brought her hand to her collar bone as if to grasp it to keep its touch which made her wonder what it might be like to have someone touch her so. Yes Thayonidas had touched her but she wondered how it would feel to really feel this touch and being in love.

Could she have this with Aragorn? Sorrow once again filled her insides and she bowed her head knowing she could never have such dreams. Aragorn would never truly be hers and honestly she could never completely give herself to him even when Arwen left. Could she truly give herself to someone?

She cared for Eomer a great deal however she knew she could never love him as a wife or lover. He was and would forever be one of her dearest friends, could she love Legolas? An elf and prince no less! Of course not! It would be like a wolf and a horse. It just couldn't be. She knew her chance for love had been and gone. Thayonidas was meant to be hers ever since the beginning and he was now dead and would never be hers.

Down below a subtle movement caught her eye and her hawk eyes stared down at the shadows where darkness hid him.

She could feel his gaze and slowly he emerged from the shadows causing her to gasp in disbelief. His dark eyes stared into hers as his dark hair rustled in the wind as he stared at her in a familiar longing way. It appeared to be Thayonidas but the way he looked at her was not a way he had ever looked at her. Her heart raced as her body tingled in the most unfamiliar manner which only added to her confusion.

She brought her fingers to her lips and studied him until she knew. The warm wind was telling her to go to him but she was frozen and could not break the gaze they shared until she whispered his name. "Legolas."

Below his dark hair slowly lightened and lengthened as his dark eyes began to illuminate until they were the alluring blue she knew.

Staring into the elf's eyes she found herself in a whole new world of confusion but she just could not look away and it seemed as though he was just as determined to keep his eyes on hers.

The wind brushed her skin again and she brought her hand down from her lips and the wind began to sing to her.

I hear the wind call my name

The sound that leads me home again

The sparks of the fire

A flame that still burns

To you, I will always return

I know the road is long

But where you are is home

Where ever you stay

I find the way

I run like the river

I follow the sun

I fly like an eagle to where I belong

Can't stand the distance,

I can't dream alone

I can't wait to see you

Yes I'm on my way home

Now I know it's true

My every road leads to you

And in the hour of darkness

You light gets me through

You run like the river

Your shine like the sun

Yeah

You fly like an eagle

Yes you are the one

I see every sun set

And with all that I've learned

Oohh

It's to you, I will always

Always return

She knew he could hear the song the wind sang as it toyed with his long silver locks. Was this the path she was meant to pursue?

A night guard suddenly caught both of their attention causing their eyes to finally part and Kordelia quickly turned into the room so he could not see her again. She was oddly out of breath and found herself panting trying to calm herself and then she jumped as someone rapped at her door.

Was it he? How could he be there?

"Are you awake milady?" sounded a familiar voice but it was not that of Legolas. It was Éomer.

She composed herself and opened to allow him to enter.