* 43 * The Soft Goodbye

The water hurt as she plunged into it but it drowned out any sort of scream of pain that tried to escape but the cold water seemed to make her see clear and rapidly she looked, or rather felt, around for Thayoidas and was blessed to find him and pull him to the surface where she greedily gasped for fresh air but was plagued with the heat and putrid scent of burning embers.

Thayonidas was not so fortunate and was a heavy burden on the small warrior whom desperately sought out something passable as a raft. Luck was most certainly on her side as she found a large floating wood door which she pulled Thayonidas upon with much effort.

Once out of the water the Alexzandron woman knew she had to bring him back to life and she recalled witnessing a method of mouths together and pressing on the chest and knew it may be her only option to revive him.

However she was angrier at him and so instead she punched his chest with her right fist. Her method worked a whole lot faster it would seem for immediately he began to spit out water, gag, and gasp. She shoved him onto his side and yanked the sword from his body before rapidly filling his wounds with fabric from her garments all while Thayonidas coughed and roared like a wild beast.

Once he had caught his air he rapidly began to use up all that air as he began a tirade of swearing and cursing.

Kordelia hardly heard a word and what she did hear was in fact amusing to her, however it was not amusing to see his blood soaking through the fabric.

When he had finally finished his cursing she sat back and looked at him. He stared right back at her with softened eyes and a smirk upon his lips. "How did you survive the poison?"

Kordelia sat for a moment and pondered the thought. She thought the poison was just part of the daze she had been in when Saruman struck her. How did she survive the poison? She then looked down and pulled the dress strap back and looked at the wound which seemed to glow. It was the only explanation as to her surviving.

She looked back at Thayonidas who was smiling and he said, "The evening blossom saved you once again."

For a few moments they sat in silence until his proud voice pierced the silence, "You my lady did it."

"No." she corrected, "We did it."

He smiled even greater although his skin appeared to become paler by the minute.

She gave him a crooked smile before looking away and saying, "I did not kill him."

"I know and will admit I am shocked. I know how much you wanted his blood."

She nodded and replied, "I shed his blood and it is a greater victory knowing he will suffer greatly until his dying day. Days without his magic staff and his right hand."

Thayonidas quickly sat up making him gasp and rethink his action as blood seeped from the cloth. "You took his hand?" Thayonidas asked with glee and pain.

Kordelia nodded, "He isn't worth wasting the time on. Time is his enemy and will do a much greater job of making him suffer than I ever could, I just relieved him of a couple luxuries."

Thayonidas smiled more and shook his head which clearly seemed to tire him.

They sat in silence for a few moments to look around and behold the once mighty Isenguard and the still strong tower Orthanc before Thayonidas spoke in a stern voice.

"We both know I am dying. There is nothing we can do about it." And he reached out and took her hand.

Kordelia wouldn't look at him nor nod her agreement.