* 19 * Broken

Ryker had never felt so vulnerable as the poison stole her energy and mind's clarity as the beasts attacked.

Her sword felt awkward and heavy in her hands, her hands shook so bad that notching an arrow took too much time and her aim was not consistent but still in her dying state she made sure to take as many Uruks down as possible. So many of them kept coming upon them that is seemed like a never ending nightmare.

She rallied all her strength again and again trying to coax the damned creatures away from Frodo for she knew was her only chance for she knew she was fated to die.

Boromir quickly had her back and was fighting with the fierce woman but her body was failing as it became harder to even hold the one dagger she now fought with.

As Boromir swung his sword in a fury he shouted, "My lady! It has been a pleasure to fight with you."

For an instant, a stupid instant she turned and looked at him and he looked at her and for the first time they had an understanding and a whole new respect for one another. With a trembling hand she put her quivering index finger to her forehead and then she put two fingers to her chest and then pointed one at him. An Alexzandron gesture of respect. Boromir smiled and ran his sword through a beast and Ryker nearly severed the head off one with her blade.

Time seemed to stand still but blood of the Uruk Hai ran like the river until the time came when Ryker's body finally quit. She could no not rally her strength one more time nor could she muster the power to pull her dagger from the uruk's flesh.

Her knees could no longer keep her standing and quickly took her to her knees as her chest heaved for air while perspiration made her skin sticky and glisten. Her ears pounded in her ears making her deaf to the fighting.

She forced herself to look up once and in front of her she saw one of the beasts with his sword raised for the killing blow but in defiance she glared up at him. This was it. This was where she died, in Parth Galen, on her knees and unable to even raise a dagger in defense. Still it was a death an Alexzandron could be proud of for it was in the heat of battle, the place where the Alexzandron people were forged. As a matter of fact she felt a pang of joy inside her heart for she was going to see her family once again. For so long she had suffered from their loss and finally she was to go home. Be where she was loved. A joy she knew she could only have in death and it was only moments away.

Fate had a different plan instead. An elven arrow went through one of the hands of her executioner causing him to drop his sword with a howl which was quickly cut off by Boromir's sword that easily decapitated the creature.

He smiled at her and gave her the same gesture she had given him just shortly before. She gave him a half smile. This man had proved his strength for resisting the ring. She knew about just before the Uruk Hai came down upon them that he had tried to take the ring but if his heart hadn't kept him back he would have killed Frodo and escaped with the ring to his doom. He was a good man.

Suddenly an arrow slammed into Boromir causing Ryker to gasp his name. He faltered for a moment and to her surprise and joy he continued to fight back. She jerked her head and saw Legolas a distance away with a Uruk taking aim at his back.

In desperation she screamed his name but before she could witness the outcome she was jerked backwards by what she knew were Uruk's. This was it. This was the end.

~~~

"They took the little ones." Boromir choked out as Aragorn knelt above him as he choked on his own blood.

"Hold still." Aragorn said in a soft voice.

"Frodo. Where is Frodo?" Boromir asked desperatly

"I let Frodo go."

"Then you did what I could not.I tried to take the Ring from him."

"The Ring is beyond our reach now." Assured Aragorn.

"Forgive me." Boromir begged .I did not see it. I have failed you all."

"No Boromir.You fought bravely. You have You have kept your honor.

Aragorn reached for one of the arrows but Boromir told him to leave it.

Boromir then said, "Ryker! They took her! The beasts took her and she is dying! It is over. The world of Men will fall and all will come to darkness and my city to ruin."

Aragorn took Boromir's hand and said, "I do not know what strength is in my blood but I swear to you, I will not let the White City fall nor our people fail. Ryker's people as well."

"Our people." Boromir repeated proudly.

Aragorn handed the dying Boromir his sword and once he had it clutched to his chest Boromir said, "I would have followed you, my brother... My captain... My king... Don't let them defile that innocent girl."

~~~

Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli gave Boromir a proper send off in one of the rafts but once it disappeared over the waterfall Aragorn turned and Legolas was pushing one of the boats into the water and said, "Hurry! Frodo and Sam have reached the eastern shore." But he quickly realized that Aragorn was not making any attempt to go after them. Aragorn looked at Legolas both with haunted and pained eyes. Legolas then asked, "You mean not to follow them."

Aragorn then stated, "Frodo's fate is no longer in our hands."

Gimli, clearly angered said, "Then it has been in vain. The Fellowship has failed."

Aragorn put a hand on each of his companions and said, "Not if we hold true to each other. We will not abandon Merry and Pippin to torment and death. Not while we have strength left. He stopped for a moment and noticed Legolas looking around and he knew he was searching for Ryker. It was time he knew.

"Boromir said they took Ryker. She is dying."

The news was like a blow to both Gimli and Legolas but it was clear that is pained Legolas most of all as a battle of sorrow and rage fought for dominance in the elf and so Aragorn went on. "We are going after them... fast. Leave all that can be spared behind. We travel light." He then sheathed one of Ryker's daggers and said, "Lets hunt some orc."

*~*~*~*~* I'm sorry for taking so long. Was having a hell of a time getting out of a minor reader's block and juggling my normal life with the addition of a couple new events but it is up now and I hope to have more posted soon. Plus a surprise in store.

I am so loving all your comments and so appreciate the votes! Thank ya'll. (Please forgive the editing or rather lack of. Got a full schedule tomorrow and won't be near computer and I am way anxious to post this especially since I have left many of you special lovelies waiting for so long.)

Picture on top is kind of hard to see because you have to focus on one picture at a time, One is of Boromir and the other is of the warrioress*~*~*~*