* 48 * Never Too Late

48

Éomer came to her chambers after some time and from the door he watched her for a few moments just stare at an aged torn scroll before he cleared his throat to gain her attention.

In a soft voice he found all too strange to be coming from the feisty girl she said, "You may enter Éomer."

Slowly he entered but her eyes would not meet his for they would not leave the parchments.

When he was near her she said in a shaky voice, "How can an entire race be forgotten? It has not been half a century and they have become myth."

"Its never too late make the Alexzandron people honored legend rather than myth. I wish I had the answer you desire. There is much I wish I could say or do to help console your hatred for men which has been undeniably justified."

"Best to put your wishes toward winning this war with minimal loss. Your people need to see you and you need to celebrate your great victory and the lives of those who have fallen."

"We await your presence. You are our honored guest and wish to pay tribute to the Alexzandron who saved Rohan. If not for you, almost all of my people would have perished in Helm's Deep. We wish to pay you tribute."

There was a moment of silence before he said, "My people also wish to pay tribute to a mystery man who rallied them with a powerful message."

This sent a visible chill down Kordelia's back and she managed to rip her eyes away and look at Éomer. "His name was Thayonidas. He was a friend of mine."

With that she stood straighter and her pride had returned and she strode to Éomer and looked him in the eye this time sending a chill down his spine but when she laced her arm in his he found his whole body shudder from head to toe.

"Shall we?" She asked with the taunting mysterious voice he had come to know which made him smile and proceed to lead her toward the noisy hall where much laughter and loud voices sounded.

When the doors opened an audible silence fell upon the mighty crowd as they gazed at the Last of the Wilds in her fair attire on the arm of the now heir to the throne.

Off to one side Kordelia immediately noticed Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Merry, Pippin, and Gandalf who were in just as much awe as the rest of the people.

Loudly Éomer announced, "My people, I present to you the true hero of Rohan. I would also like to present her on part of another hero many of you owe your lives to. His name was Thayonidas and this eve we pay much tribute to him as well as the lovely mistress Ryker."

King Théoden entered and gained most of the people's attention and allowed enough time for mugs, goblets, and challises to be passed around with the best wine before he said, "Honored guest we are indeed grateful for the heroic deeds you and your companion have done for my people and tonight we remember those who gave their blood to defend this country. Hail the victorious dead"

Everyone in the room replied, "Hail!" and took a drink as did Kordelia who still had one arm wrapped with Éomer's. It was her first taste of wine and it was one she wasn't sure she liked or not.

Éomer lead her further into the room where she continued to drink her wine and soon relinquished the company of her escort and wonder around the room. The people were very leery of her but the wine and ale seemed to be putting them more at ease. Young women would often pass by and refill her challis although she had only taken a few sips.

Soon she witnessed a sight that made her raise and eyebrow for it was the King's niece and she had presented a challis to Aragorn. The look they shared was odd but Kordelia could read it. Though their eyes were locked she could clearly see the wanting the girl had for the ranger but though he appeared to be thinking the same, she could see that he was wanting for someone else. Or was it the duty he had vowed to as a child?