54 ~ Men are Fools

54

The rest of the day she stayed in the shadows outside of Edoras where she watched the doings while her hands worked to sew together proper clothing and leather boots for a silk robe simply would not due in her travels.

What she witnessed was Gandalf leave on the Mear with the Halfling Pippin which made her raise an eyebrow although she knew where they were going. Minas Tirth, Gondor.

This she had to see. What would the pompous steward of Gondor think of Aragorn coming? She would go but she had time and would not rush herself with her doings nor would she abandon her now gelded friend who was resting beside her. Damned men!

When darkness fell she put had made herself a bit of paint and put it on her face before she hopped on Epona and allowed Cadeyrn to follow at a brisk pace in which he kept up without showing pain although Kordelia knew he was sore.

When they came upon the white city she found herself in awe. Yes this was the first time she had seen the wondrous place and no doubt, it was stunning and shocking knowing it was manmade. Men had truly made a city of heaven in Middle Earth and it was Gondor.

However she was not able to stare upon the fair city long for she saw that not far away was a cruel and vicious fight between men and orcs and judging by the shouts, the men of Gondor were being overtaken.

Her instinct told her to join the fray but she looked at her mighty steed who appeared fatigued and it brought back the fires of anger as she recalled what men had done to her beloved Cadeyrn and so she stayed in the shadows and watched until they retreated but what was upon them was of great evil.

"Nazgûl." She said softly as she witnessed it take out a great number of men who tried to flee until Gandalf came out riding the leader of the Mears and with his staff he was able to cast the beast and its rider away.

Everything inside her was screaming for her to fight to the point where she had her father's sword drawn but her anger toward men was keeping her feet firmly planted.

When the danger had passed she sheathed her sword and sank down to her knees as both guilt and confusion sank in. To add more to her perplexed mind a dream kept mixing in with her anger and remorse. She had dreamt of Thayonidas. He was sailing and truly happy as he captained his vessel while she sat happily in his presence with the joyous feel of being free. He had not said anything, but the smirk on his face spoke to her. Telling her he was filled with joy and was proud. No doubt proud of what they had accomplished together. It was because of them that the Rohirrim riders were able to save their king and people cornered in Helm's Deep, it was because of their strategy and their passion to extinguish evil. She was so relaxed on the ship in her fair garments that she found herself laying down on her stomach and soon she thought she could feel his touch on her back but it was different somehow. It was not like the tender touch he had with her when they were deceiving the blasted witch, this was something else that she could not describe.

She tried shaking the feeling as she turned her back on the gruesome sight. Men could fight their own wars.

But that was when the remembrance of the vow she had made to be a defender of mankind causing her chest to be filled with pain like a dagger was being thrust into her. She had made the vow but when she looked at her friend she was reminded of the evil in men. Was she really doing anyone a favor by defending such greed filled beings?

Looking at her last connection with her old world she could find no just cause to stand with men. She would make sure the ring was destroyed but what happened to men was none of her concern.

It was not long when she noticed the hobbit, Pippin, doing what hobbits do well. He was sneaking and from the looks of it he was going to be calling for aide, a gesture that appeared to be against the Steward of Gondor's wishes.