* 58 * Council

58

It was just before midnight when the females came into the camp where they were greeted with silence. Many familiar men lowered their gaze in fear for they knew their people had done wrong to the Alexzandron assassin but still they held her in great respect although they bowed their heads in awe to the elleth who rode with the elegance only an elf could have. Kordelia knew they must be an odd sight for Arwen was so graceful as she rode that it seemed as though she was floating with her pale skin almost glowing with radiant beauty as soft blue eyes sent an aura of calm amongst the men while the woman who rode in front of her rode smoothly with her mount although it was clear she could pounce and kill with the speed of lightning with her tanned skin and red hair betraying the reason why she was called The Last of the Wilds, while her glowing gold eyes sent deathly chills down the men's spines.

King Théoden quickly came to greet them and in his eyes Kordelia could clearly read both remorse and delight to seeing her. She knew the remorse was for the way his men had treated her beloved friend and stallion and she knew his delight was to see her coming to them with the familiar bloodlust look she had on her hardened face.

For a moment he just stood before her and the mare she was poised upon as if to make sure he was not dreaming before he spoke, "In this time of despair I must admit, seeing you gives me much hope. I would very much desire to confer with you mistress."

Kordelia looked over to her companion and it seemed as though it was the first time the mighty king had noticed the she-elf. "Lady Arwen you are welcome to this private assembly as well." And then he looked back to Kordelia and said, "Whatever the arrangements you wish for your mighty mare I will see to and shall honor and understand your choice."

Kordelia said, "I wish for your Marshall, Éomer and only Éomer to see to Epona. No man is to lay a finger or so much as a lingering gaze upon her or I will treat them as an enemy. You understand my reasoning and I will rely on your word this last time that no harm or threat shall fall upon her or else I will be left with no choice but to make every horse riderless."

"I will take full responsibility." And he turned to call for Éomer, however the Third Marshall had just appeared with a delighted gleam in his eyes which never reached his mouth.

King Théoden gave Éomer orders and when he answered he looked into Kordelia's fierce eyes, "It will be an honor and I shall lay my life down before I will let anything happen to her... friend."

The word friend startled her and made her feel odd although it was a pleasant odd.

Sincerely she replied, "You have my gratitude... Éomer." And then her typical attitude kicked in, "I hope you do not fail me or I will have to kill you."

Most men would find this threat bone chilling however Éomer smiled and said, "I will hand you my sword to do the task if I fail." And with that he stepped forward so as to let Epona accept his presence before he took a gentle hold of the reins as Kordelia dismounted and gave him a slight grin before she walked past him toward Théoden's tent.

Théoden ordered his guards to see to Arwen's horse and she followed Kordelia into the tent where they stood alone for some time before Théoden came in.

"Food and drink shall be delivered soon. You lovely ladies and your mounts have betrayed many signs of a long travel."

In her melodic voice Arwen thanked him, "That is very kind of you good King Théoden. It is an honor to be doted on by such a great king."

Théoden smiled, obviously enjoying this lighter conversation which held no threat. Another night and day difference between the two women present. However his smile faded when his gaze shifted to Kordelia. Before he could apologize Kordelia asked, "Who are we waiting for?"

They all knew who she meant which visibly made Arwen flush as one hand gracefully touched her heart as the other gentle covered her mouth. Just the knowing he was near and made her portray her love for the man who was the rightful King of Gondor.

King Théoden studied the women for a moment, particularly Kordelia which was a giveaway which told her he had something uncomfortable to share about the odd trio.

When he looked away it was clear he was preparing his words before he said them out loud. "They departed not an hour before you entered our base camp."

Kordelia gave him a look which told him she expected to know where they went which was clearly something he was not looking forward to sharing but he knew his duty and he owed it to the warrior princess.

Before he could answer another figure entered the tent with a presence which was very familiar to both women.

"Da." Arwen whispered as Elrond removed his hood. He gave his daughter a slight smile which was a sweet gesture that was much deeper and loving than his lips portrayed. He then looked toward Kordelia and bowed his head to her in a manner of reverent respect which Kordelia was touched by and she returned the complimentary bow.

Théoden spoke, "Thank you Lord Elrond for your presence. I have just informed our ladies of the departure of Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli."

Elrond nodded and asked, "Shall I tell them?"

Théoden looked at Kordelia and answered, "You may tell them what brought you here."

Elrond went on to tell how he had reforged the historic blade Narsil and brought it to Aragorn where he renamed it Andúril and that was where he stopped. He did not share what he had with Aragorn about using the blade to summon an army to save Arwen or about this army.

From what Elrond had told them Kordelia felt the hairs on the back of her neck prickle as she anticipated the blow she was about to receive.

Before anyone could say anything else she turned her back and stepped toward one of the tables where she slid all of its contents to one side and there she took five minutes to remove all of her weapons before she returned to the party where she crossed her arms and looked at Théoden who returned her gaze for a moment before he repeated, "They left not long before you arrived... They took the Path of the Dead to call upon the Army of the Dead."

Silence seemed to fall upon the whole camp as if they could feel the furry Kordelia felt as she heard what she had suspected since Elrond emerged.

Flashes back to her people came to her as did the progression of time. Their joy, their inglorious deaths, their graves, and then the pictures of the gruesome deaths of those responsible.

When she came to an end she closed her eyes as if to smother out the red in her eyes before she looked back at the two elves and the man who appeared uneasy. They had every reason to be for she was unpredictable although her violence was typically predictable.

She gave each of them a hard look before she said, "Not all of those in that damned mountain were cursed by Isildur. In these last years those whom I have slain where sent there to suffer forever for their foolishness. Murderers, cowards, and those I have judged as an abomination. They are deemed as the most evil and corrupt in this world and I find them more beastly than Orcs and comparable to Sauron. I don't have to remind you what they did or what it is I did to them. All I can say is I don't think I can forgive them for summoning this army of Oathbreakers."

More silence and fear intertwined within the tent until it was so thick it would seem as though it could strangle which was when King Théoden spoke, "I must ask as we dangle over the fire with such weakened thread, where do you stand?"

Kordelia stared hard at Théoden with fire flickering in her eyes as Théoden's heart sank as he anticipated what her answer would be.

Even the two elves seemed to know what this meant and knew this would be the end of their journey together and perhaps their last battle Middle Earth would host before it was destroyed.

Minas Tirth would fall.

*~*~*~*~* Sorry about lack of editing, thought I'd kept you waiting too long as it is.