Chapter 39 Part 3 - Shock

The pair continued collecting as the first fight hadn't taken much time. They killed another scorpion and took a rare berry plant along with the crops the hogs had been hiding, the vine leaves they'd found, and two other bundles of plants Addor would ned before finally heading back to the meet point that they'd exited out of to come to the forest. By this time it was close to sunset. They were a little early, not all of the groups had returned, but the ones who'd come had already entered through the entrance back into the city. Addor passed through as well before her blood shook and banged against her from within.

She startled and paused to look back. "Rei?"

Fan Rei hadn't passed through. She was on the other side, looking lost as if she couldn't find the entrance. Addor went back through and heard a swish as she passed through. She was moved a place about three meters away, left spinning in place, trying to find the entrance. She looked over at Fan Rei, only to find that she couldn't tell where the entrance was from her position, either.

Addor remembered a warning she hadn't thought much about until now. Once you pass back through your tablet it automatically returned to the guards. "Rei." She called over her lost ghost.

Fan Rei's spinning eyes slowly returned to normal, as if she were being shaken free from an illusion and she floated over to Addor, "What happened?" She shivered, uncomfortable. Whatever she was doing just seconds ago wasn't something she could recall but she felt like she wasn't in a good place. She wondered if Fan Rei hadn't pulled her back she would have stayed in that state until she was a real, wandering ghost.

She gulped at the image that appeared of her attacking an unaware human.

---

At the same time, the intermediate was enjoying a red drink with a table of friends when he suddenly fell out of his chair.

"Whoa! You okay?" His table stopped laughing and looked down at him.

Shocked, he replied, "I forgot to tell the gatekeepers." He glanced outside at the pitch black sky and sighed, than get up and continued the conversation from before, the careless smile of his returning to his face.