Chapter 49: Zach

I was about to walk into my room until I heard that Leila was on the phone. Should I eavesdrop?

"Yeah babe, he's too pure. We haven't even done it yet," She whined. "As soon as he gets tired of me, I'm gonna come to you okay?"

I barged in causing her to get scared.

"You've been cheating on me?!" I yelled.

"Honey listen," She tried.

"NO! GET OUT AND BRING ME ALL THE CRAP I BOUGHT YOU TOMORROW!" I yelled.

"Whatever, I only wanted your dick and money," She scoffed and walked out.

I didn't care if it was rude to yell. She freaking cheated on me! I mean, I almost cheated but AT LEAST I DIDN'T! When I heard the door closed I sighed. I really liked her. Maybe I should get out and get my mind off her. Yeah, I should. All of a sudden, I was spammed with notifications. Most of them being news outlets. They had pictures of Daniel and Sherlyn playing at Santa Monica beach. They looked super close too.

Daniel is a great guy, I can't deny it. He's everything Sherlyn deserves. But I knew somewhere deep down that she loves me still. Or at least I hope she does. I miss her and still love her. I know I hurt her in the past, but I'm a changed person. I realized that Leila wasn't the right one for me. Instead of kindness, I got the harsh truth. It hurt, but it helped me see that Sherlyn brings out the best in me.

I decided to text Eben and see what was happening. If he didn't reply, I also texted August. They both didn't reply after an hour so I just decided to drive to Santa Monica. It was a decent amount of time so I knew I'd get there before they left. Traffic was surprisingly not bad so I got to the pier in no time. I parked next to Logan's Yeti and went out to find Sherlyn. It was dark and I knew she must've been on the pier.

I got out and started walking down the pier. I spotted them easily and they were about to get on the Ferris Wheel. Sherlyn was wearing Daniel's jacket as they got on one cart together. I watched till they reached the top. I could see her ending the vlog shot then cuddling close to him.

He held out his phone and they took a picture together. She was laughing and looked really happy. Now I knew how it felt for her when I found somebody else. It hurt and I can't imagine how much worse it felt for her. I should leave before I crush my own heart more.

"Zach! Man, what are you doing here?" I hear right when I turned around.

"I was just about to leave," I told Eben.

"What do you mean? I'm pretty sure you just got here," Eben questioned.

"I just can't stay here, see you later Eben," I told him and walked away.

"Dude, if this is about Daniel and Sherlyn. I'm sorry, but you have to accept that she's moving on and she found someone that will love and cherish her," Eben apologized.

I just kept walking away. I didn't wanna hear it. The girl I still cared about is up there with my best friend. To be fair, I tried to get with her best friend. Which didn't go well since she's now Daniel's girlfriend. But it still hurt. I find out my ex was cheating and I find out my crush is gonna date my best friend.

"Zach?" Jonah said when he saw me.

"Hey man," I say cheerfully.

"What are you doing here? I thought you and Leila were gonna go on a dinner date?" He asked as we did our bro handshake.

"Leila and I are done. She cheated and used me for money," I sighed. "I was gonna come down to win Sherlyn back but, her and Daniel seem pretty cozy together,"

"Look, bro, you broke her heart and she's finally got back on track for herself. She's ready to date again and it's her choice if she wants to be with Daniel or not," Jonah bluntly told me. "Did you think she was gonna wait for you forever?"

"Of course not-"

"Then don't be too hurt that she's with someone else. You found someone else and she had to deal with it. Now it's your turn," He interrupted.

Before I could answer, I heard her contagious laugh mixed with his.

"Zach?" I hear her gentle voice ask.

"Hey," I awkwardly answered as I turned towards them.

"Where's whats-her-face?" She asked.

"Leila and I broke up," I broke the news to her.

"Oh, sorry," She pitied me. "You'll find someone who loves you,"

"Sherlyn can we talk?" I asked as I motioned to the side.

She nodded and told Daniel to go and enjoy himself. We walked to a bench and sat down together. How do I tell her I love her? Did I really love her or did I just like her a lot?

"I'm sorry Sherlyn. I treated you terribly and you didn't deserve all the pain I put you through," I started. "I like you a lot and I thought by dating Leila, I'd forget about you but I didn't. Instead, I fell deeper for you,"

"Zach, it's been two years and I moved on. You should too," She sighed.

"I know I need to move on but you're the one I want," I blurt out.

"I wanted you back then Zach, but I can't go through that again. I'm in a good place and it's gonna get better," She tried to help me understand.

"I won't do that again! I changed!" I refused.

"I changed also, and I'm not gonna do things just for other people anymore. Zach, how could you be so selfish to take away someone's happiness to fuel your own?" She started getting mad. "How selfish can you be Zachary?"

"I'm selfish cause I like you and I need you in my life!" I raised my voice. "Do you know how hard it was to watch you these past two years grow into a beautiful young woman and know that I broke that beautiful pure heart that you had?"

"No, you don't get to talk about heartbreak because I suffered so fucking much because of you. For a year, I believed I wasn't good enough for anyone. You don't get to talk about how hard it was cause you don't know what hard is," She told me as tears started forming.

"I actually do okay, unlike you who got instant fame off of Logan's vlogs, I worked for where I am today. I made a name for myself and I had to tour at a young age. You just came to California as a small YouTuber that vlogged and made music but really no one knew this stupid Hawaii girl," I yelled.

My face softens as I realized what I just said. Before I could reply, she got up and ran towards Daniel. I let out a breath of regret. How could I say that? She did work hard for where she is. I'm just angry and it's not a good excuse to yell at her. I saw Jonah and Daniel come towards me with angry faces.

"What the hell bro?" Daniel said infuriated.

"Look Dan-"

"No, why the hell would you say that?!" He interrupted.

"Cause I was angry okay?" I yelled.

"She was doing this longer than you ever have. How long have you been singing on YouTube? Not long," Jonah said.

"Look you can shut up Jonah," I told him.

"Why? cause you know it's true?" He taunts.

"Both of you stop!" We hear Sherlyn say.

We turned around and saw her with Logan. He was angry. She was holding on to his arm like a little kid with tears still falling down her face.

"We're leaving," Logan monotonously told us.

The rest of the boys went with him while I stood there just shocked. Jonah had his arm around her shoulders.

How do I always manage to mess up?