Hostage

A/N: Don't worry, I shall spare you the heart-attack cliffhangers in this part :)

Rainkeeper was stunned. He had no idea what to do. Pineapple was around here somewhere, attacking students, Air had been taken hostage, and Joy's life was in danger no matter what. What was he supposed to do? He sighed. One year. He had just wanted ONE normal year at this school. But apparently, the universe had other plans. 

Joy paced the room. She knew what she had to do. A note had been left on her bed, telling her a time and place to meet Pineapple- and to come alone. Joy knew that if she didn't go, Air would die. She couldn't let that happen. Air was one of her best friends in the whole world. If she died.... Well, it wouldn't be pretty. Nightflyer would never forgive her if she didn't go through with this, but Rainkeeper wouldn't if she did. It was a nightmare. But she had a plan. A horrible plan that was bound to end miserably, but a plan none the less. But even if it didn't work, at least Air would be safe and sound. Joy sighed. She really had to get better at hiding who was important to her. 

Glory was torn. Pineapple had found a way to slam them all between a rock and a hard place. If Joy went through with this, she'd die. But if she didn't, then Clay's daughter would die, and Clay would never forgive her. Glory wanted to scream. She prayed that Joy's plan would work. 

Finally the day came. Joy walked down a narrow hallway, the pouch around her neck heavier than normal, for it was filled with chakrams, sleeping darts, and the healing stone; just in case. She entered a large cave and waited. Sure enough, Pineapple faded into view, a smug smirk on her face. 

"I thought you might come." she commented. Joy's talons clenched into fists. 

"Where is Air?" she demanded. Pineapple flicked her tail and the hybrid was shoved into the room. Joy breathed a short sigh of relief. She was a bit cut up, but other then that, she was alive and fine. Pineapple produced a thin, sharp looking dagger, and grabbed Air, holding the knife against her throat. "Let her go." Joy snapped. "I did what you asked." 

"Weapons." Pineapple declared. Air stayed remarkably still, eyeing the dagger. Reluctantly, Joy pulled out the chakrams and the sleeping darts and dropped them on the ground. "Everything." Pineapple insisted. Joy sighed and dropped the healing stone on the pile. 

"Very well." she announced, releasing Air. Joy dove at her friend, pulling her away from Pineapple. 

"Are you alright?" she asked. Air nodded. "Head back to the school, I'll be there soon." Joy promised. Air hesitated. 

"You heard her." Pineapple agreed. Reluctantly, Air left the cave, but waited outside the doorway. "Now it's just you and me." Pineapple commented. Joy smirked. 

"On the contrary," she began. "Did you really think I would come alone?" As soon as the word left her mouth, dragons appeared and lunged at Pineapple, shooting sleeping darts at her. Pineapple dodged the guards and missed the darts. Jambu, still in camouflage, shot another dart, which landed triumphantly on Pineapple's neck. She growled and grabbed Joy, stabbing the dagger in the hybrid's abdomen. 

"You're a fool, cousin." she snarled.

Joy gasped slightly as Pineapple yanked out the blade. The guards snapped into action, but the sleeping dart had already worked its magic, and Pineapple fell to the ground, unconscious. Jambu caught Joy before she could fall, the stab wound bleeding freely. 

"Oh no. Oh no no no." he whispered as Joy's scales went white. Air rushed into the room suddenly and froze at the sight of her friend. No. She couldn't die. She was not allowed to. She glanced frantically around the room as the guards stared in horror. Her eyes landed on the stone and she ran for it before bolting over to her friend.

 "Joy," she breathed. Quickly she brushed the stone over the stab wound, partially healing it. The bleeding stopped, but Joy had already fallen into unconsciousness.

Later....

When Joy opened her eyes, she immediately took in all the little things about the dragons surrounding her. There was someone holding her talon. Someone was sitting, anxiously flipping a bloody rock in their talons. Another dragon was watching her, their blue eyes holding an incredible amount of fear. Slowly, her vision focused and she identified the dragons. Uncle Jambu, Air, Kelp, Rainkeeper, Moon, Nightflyer, Qibli, Mangrove and some other guards, Sunny, Seashell and Winter. In her head she smirked slightly at their worried faces.

 "Well," she spoke hoarsely. "Aren't I popular." 

"You got stabbed." Air corrected. 

"Fair point." Joy admitted. "But I'm a bit more upset that I didn't get to smack Pineapple for calling me a fool."