Back To JMA, And This Time, YOU'RE GONNA STAY THERE!...Til The End Of The Year

Clay scowled at the sky as they flew back to JMA. Peril caught the look on his face and bit back a laugh. Sure, she wasn't that happy to wake up and find her daughter sleeping in some Nightwing's arms, but at least she didn't go crazy and start making death threats (unlike some dragons.) 

Nightflyer flew through the sky with a smile on his face. Sure, Clay was going to murder him the next time he fell asleep, but it was so worth it. Next to him, Air did a flip of delight as she flew, cherishing the sweet mountain oxygen. 

This was it, Joy thought to herself. They were really going back. Sure, Mother was going to kill her in an instant, but she thought the adventure had been worth it. Kelp smiled shyly at her and Joy grinned back at him. They had been at school for less than a month, and Joy could only imagine what would happen during the rest of the year.

As it turns out, the rest of the school year was pretty uneventful compared to what had happened in the beginning of the year.

Air spent most of the time in the art cave, carving out their adventures. But she was never alone in the room. Rainkeeper was always painting, and Nightflyer had taken to watching Air as she sculpted. He found it to be an adorable sight, because whenever Air was deep in concentration, her tongue would poke out of the corner of her mouth. She had no idea she did this, which made Nightflyer like it even better.

Kelp spent a lot more time with Joy than he expected to. They would joke and pull pranks and just....laugh. For hours on end. It was almost strange to feel so happy, but Kelp was growing to like the feeling, even though he knew he shouldn't be getting close to Joy.

Now, as night fell, the school year was coming to a close. Tomorrow everyone's parents or guardians would come and pick them up, but Rainkeeper had one last thing he wanted to do first. As soon as everyone was asleep, he snuck out of his sleeping cave, a bag slung over his shoulder. Finally, he reached his destination. The school gong was at the entrance, and usually was the first thing everyone saw as they walked in. But Rainkeeper wasn't looking at the gong, he was looking at the wall above it. Most dragons would look and see rock, but Rainkeeper saw a canvas. He reached into the bag, took out some paint, grabbed a brush, and began to paint.

The next day...

Most of Jade Mountain Academy was staring at it, but then again, who wouldn't? The Dragonets of Destiny were astonished. Someone had painted a mural in the night. It was amazing. 

In big bright letters read the words Welcome To Jade Mountain Academy, and surrounding it was... the school. 

There were small pictures, like snapshots of events that had gone on over the past year. And it was so detailed that the students were picking themselves out in the pictures. There were pictures of Joy and others, dancing in the music cave. Ostrich, Qibli, and Umber playing instruments. Air and Rainkeeper in the art cave, Clay yelling at chickens in the Prey center, Seawings swimming in the underground lake, Rainwings sleeping on top of the mountain for suntime, Sora, Moon, and Starflight discussing scrolls in the library, Turtle and Rainkeeper peeking out from behind the gong, Winter holding up a soaking wet scavenger, a irritated expression on this face. Everything was there. 

"Who did this?" Sunny said in awe. Joy blinked in surprise at a small mark in the corner of the mural, easily missed. In small white print were two letters. RK. They were signed like a signature. There was only one dragon in the school that could sign their name like that. 

Later....

On a ledge on the side of JMA sat Air, Seashell, Kelp, Joy, Nightflyer, Moon, Winter, and Qibli. They watched as other students met with their families and left for home. Most of them were just waiting it out. Air, Seashell, Kelp, Joy, Nightflyer, and Qibli were each leaving with one of the Dragonets of Destiny, so they had to wait for the entire school to leave first. Winter could leave anytime he wanted, if he had anywhere to go. The Ice Kingdom was out of the question, but he had an idea of where he could hide out until it was time for school to start again. 

"Mother!" Moon yelled in delight, jumping up and soaring off the ledge to greet Secretkeeper. Joy grinned as a familiar Rainwing landed at the school's entrance. 

"I'll be back," she called, rushing off to greet her mother. 

Nightflyer watched on until something slammed into his head like a brick. 

A vision. 

As Nightflyer watched, two small dragonets ran through a forest, their faces contorted with terror. One of the dragonets, a smokey looking Skywing, glanced behind him in fear. He couldn't have been more than three. The other dragonet, a Nightwing, had tears running down her face as they ran. She looked barely more than a few months old, far too young to be this scared. They ran and ran, until someone thumped down in front of them. An old looking Icewing grinned evilly at them, more Icewings landing around him. 

"Well, if it isn't my lucky day." the Icewing hissed. The older dragonet turned to the younger one. 

"Run." he told her, before lunging at the Icewing. The little dragonet did as she was told and ran away from the Icewings. But she was running and crying, oblivious to her surroundings. She didn't see the small opening in the ground until it was too late. She fell down the hole, knocked her head on a rock, and rolled to the bottom of a cave, unconscious. 

Well, Nightflyer thought nervously. That can't be good.