A Fight To Remember

A/N: Hooray I've started doing dedications!

Scarlet watched, slightly amused, as ten dragons stormed into her throne room. On either side of her, Air frowned and Peril began to squirm, the thing in her head flapping like crazy. It was going like a ceiling fan on high when she spotted a Mudwing in the group. 

"Let them go." someone ordered. Scarlet grinned. 

"I don't have to. There's nothing forcing them to stay here." she offered.

 "Let them go, or you'll be sorry." She smirked. 

"Will I now. And why is that?" Joy stepped to the front of the group and Scarlet stiffened slightly. 

"See, the ironic thing," Joy began. "Is that I'm not even the one with the venom."

The group lashed out and the guards around the room jumped forward to fight them. Deathbringer and Joy lunged out and sliced with their talons while their chakrams sliced through both the air and the guards. Rainkeeper spat out with venom, Qibli behind him attacking with his venomous tail. Fatespeaker and Clay focused on protecting, keeping the Skywings away from their students as much as possible. Three of them weren't even there. Winter, Moon, and Seashell had gone off to find Ruby and free her. 

"Peril," Scarlet asked, leaning over to her champion. 

"Yes Your Majesty?" Peril said obediantly. 

"See that Mudwing out there? Not the big one, but the small one with the strange eyes?" Scarlet questioned. "Kill him for me." 

"Of course, Your Majesty." Peril agreed, walking towards the fight.

Nightflyer let out a oof as he was tackled to the ground. He turned to face his attacker and froze. 

It was Air.

  Air? Nightflyer thought. Seriously universe!?!?!? Can't I catch a break?  Air growled and lunged at him. They wrestled on the ground. Fighting was apparently a lot more difficult when you were trying to avoid hurting the dragon that was trying to kill you. 

"Air!" he yelled as she swung at his neck, him holding her back enough so she couldn't reach. "It's me!" 

"I don't know you!" she screamed at him. "AND MY NAME ISN'T AIR!" That's it, he realized as Air pinned him to the ground. The necklace thumped against Air's chest as they fought, completely unprotected. Nightflyer reached out as she pinned him- and tore off the necklace.

Qibli's eyes widened as he caught sight of Peril walking into the fight. She could kill them all right now, but for some reason she didn't. 

Scarlet's given her a specific target, he realized, searching the crowd of fighting. But who? Clay? No. The Mudwing might be a threat, but no matter what spell she was under, Peril would never hurt Clay. Scarlet wouldn't risk the hold she had on the firescales dragon. Who could it be?.....Suddenly it clicked in Qibli's head. 

"Clay!" he yelled out. The Mudwing's head swung towards him. "Peril's gonna kill Squelch!" Horror was written over everyone's face. 

Sure enough, when Peril reached the small dragonet, she shot out and wrapped a talon around his neck, lifting him off the ground as she choked him.

 "Mother," Squelch begged. "Please." Suddenly, another dragon slammed into Peril, causing her to lose her grip on Squelch. She whipped around to see Air lunging at her, reaching for the necklace. Every dragon in the ground jumped back as Air yanked at the necklace. Peril struggled against the dragonet's hold, but it was no use after Clay helped pin her down. As soon as the necklace was off, Peril's angered face faded in confusion before contorting into horror. 

"Oh my moons," Peril said softly. "What have I done?"  With sighs of relief, Clay and Air released her and fell back. The group sighed and glanced at one another.

 "Well, that was entertaining." Scarlet declared. "I'll have to recruit you all for my new arena." 

"Too bad you won't have an arena to recruit anyone for." a new voice said as the doors were slammed open. Ruby stepped into the room, her face full of fierce determination. "Queen Scarlet of the Skywings, I hereby challenge you for throne and kingdom." she announced. 

That night....

In a small clearing near the Sky Palace, fifteen dragons slept around a dying fire. After watching the royal challenge, the group decided to head back to Jade Mountain, where most of them were supposed to be. They had chosen to rest for the night and they needed it. But not everyone was sleeping. 

Nightflyer, in true Nightwing fashion, was wide awake. He glanced around the circle of dragons surrounding the weak fire. 

Peril and her smoking scales were slightly away from the rest of the ground, mainly for safety. Squelch was curled up near her, one of Clay's wings spread over him like a blanket. Air was nearby too, but she had rolled away from Clay's other wing in her sleep. 

Next to them was Tsunami, one of her dragonets under each of her wings. One of Kelp's talon was outstretched, just centimeters from Joy's talon, that was also stretched towards him. 

Deathbringer had his tail protectively entwined with his daughter, and the assassin slept in a way that looked so much like he was awake, it was scary. Rainkeeper was on his dad's other side and next to him lay Qibli, Moon, and Winter. Right in a row. Nightflyer lay next to them, observing. On his other side was a tree and on the other side of the tree was Fatespeaker. Nightflyer didn't know why, but he didn't really like sleeping all curled up next to his mom. But she didn't like it much either, so it worked out.

Unbeknownst to Nightflyer, he wasn't the only one awake. Deathbringer hardly ever slept and certainly not when they were sleeping in some strange place. The assassin glanced around and frowned at the closeness of Joy and Kelp's talons. Carefully, he untwined his tail and pulled Joy's talon away from Kelp's. With a small smirk on his face, he shut his eyes and attempted to sleep. There was a small sound, and he reopened his eyes. Deathbringer glanced at Joy's talon and scowled. 

Had her talon seriously gotten closer to Kelp's. 

He sighed and closed his eyes again.

There was a slight gasp, and Air shot awake, panting. 

"Bad dream?" a calm voice asked. She turned to see Nightflyer watching her. 

"Maybe," she admitted. He grinned slightly. In the forest, something snapped. "What was that?" Air asked, her voice raising in a panicked way. 

"Calm down," Nightflyer insisted, but Air looked far from calm. He stood up and went and sat by the tree. "Come here," 

"Why?" Air questioned, but she did as he asked, settling next to him like they had sat in the cell. 

"Sleep," he suggested. "Nothing is going to get to you when I'm here. Not even bad dreams." 

"Thank you," she said in a relieved voice.

Oh, Deathbringer thought as they both fell asleep. He's good.