The Song

It was morning. Glory had to begin her Queenly duties soon and since Deathbringer was guarding her, that meant that Rainkeeper had to get out of bed. That was something he definitely didn't want to do. 

"It's time to wake up, honey," Glory whispered to him. Rainkeeper whimpered and rolled over. "Come on Rainkeeper, you have to get up," she insisted. 

"No," Rainkeeper mumbled weakly. He whined again. Glory sighed. 

"Why not?" she asked. 

"I don fell good." he admitted. Glory rested her talon on Rainkeeper's forehead. It was boiling hot. Realization and worry swept through her. Rainkeeper had never gotten sick before. But she knew what to do. When the other dragonets had gotten sick under the mountain, Clay and her had always taken care of them, seeing as the guardians weren't going to. But she was still worried. This was her son after all. 

"Deathbringer," Glory called. Rainkeeper leaned into her talon, seeing as it was cool. 

"What's up?" Deathbringer asked, walking into the room. 

"I think Rainkeeper's sick. He's burning up." she explained. Deathbringer frowned and walked over. 

"What's the matter bud?" he questioned. 

"I don fell good." Rainkeeper said miserably. Deathbringer looked at Glory. 

"What do you want to do?" he asked. Glory frowned. 

"I don't know. Could you maybe cover for me today? I don't want to leave him like this." she suggested. He nodded. 

"Alright." he agreed, kissing her. "Feel better buddy," he added. Rainkeeper nodded.

 "Go back to sleep," Glory insisted. Rainkeeper nodded again and shut his eyes. Glory stayed by him until she was sure he was asleep. Then she quietly backed out of his room and shut the door. 

A few hours later....

Glory opened the door and walked in, checking on Rainkeeper. She noticed he was awake and sat by him. 

"Hey bud. How are you feeling?" she asked. Rainkeeper looked at her, his eyes heavy. 

"I fell wurse." he admitted, and then he burst into tears. Glory picked him up and held him in her arms, rocking him slowly. 

"It's okay," she assured him, wracking her brain for something that might make him feel better. an absurd idea struck her, but if it made Rainkeeper feel better, then she was willing to try it. "Do you want me to sing to you?" she questioned. Rainkeeper sniffled and nodded. Great. But what song could she sing to him? Finally, she picked one, and began to sing.

"She works the nights, by the water.

She's gonna stress, so far away,

From her father's daughter.

She just wants a life for her baby,

All on her own, no one will come,

She's got to save him.

She tells him, 

oo love, no one's ever gonna hurt you love,

I'm gonna give you all my love,

No body matters like you.

She tells him, 

Your life ain't gonna be nothing like my life,

You're gonna grow and have a good life,

I'm gonna do what I've got to do.

So Rockabye baby, Rockabye,

I'm gonna rock you,

Rockabye baby, don't you cry,

Somebody's got you,

Rockabye baby, Rockabye,

I'm gonna rock you,

Rockabye baby, don't you cry."

Deathbringer walked into the hut and stopped. It had been a long day acting as a king. He had no idea how Glory pulled it off and was still able to be a caring mother and wife. A noise stopped him dead in his tracks. Was that...singing? He followed the sound and peeked into Rainkeeper's room, where, sure enough, Glory was singing. She was amazing. He'd had no idea that she could sing like that. And he recognized the song too. Time for a surprise, he decided. He snuck into the room and waited for his chance. When it arrived, he began to sing.

"Single mama you doing out there,

Facing the hardlife, without not fear. 

Just so you know that you really care,

 Cause an obstacle come you're prepared."

Glory stared in shock as Deathbringer sang. He was incredible. But she wasn't one to be outdone. They stared at each other for a moment, and then together, sang.

"Now she got a six-year old

Trying to keep him warm

Trying to keep him out the cold

When he looks her in the eyes,

He don't know he's safe when she says,

oo love, no one's gonna ever hurt you love,

I'm gonna give you all of my love

Nobody matters like you.

So Rockabye baby, Rockabye,

I'm gonna rock you.

Rockabye baby, don't you cry.

Somebody's got you.

Rockabye baby, Rockabye.

I'm gonna rock you. 

Rockabye baby, don't you cry.

Rockabye."

Glory glanced down and saw that Rainkeeper had fallen asleep in her arms. Deathbringer noted this and walked over, taking the dragonet out of Glory's arms and putting his into his bed. Then he turned around and faced her, a smug grin on his face. 

"You should sing more often."