Pear

Rainkeeper wandered through the forest, gathering sticks. Joy was at dragonet daycare and his parents were busy, so he'd decided to explore the forest. That's when an idea had struck. 

Rainkeeper, even though he was only two, was an amazing artist. He used fruits as paint and would make things out of dyed sticks he would find. But no one really knew this, except for Joy, of course. The two siblings had a very close bond and Rainkeeper found it difficult to keep anything from his little sister. I mean, how could you deny something to a dragonet that called you Keepie? Rainkeeper wanted to be just like his dad, but for some reason he got the impression that Deathbringer wouldn't like his son painting things instead of fighting. So he kept his art a secret.

Rainkeeper bent down to grab another stick when something hard smacked him in the back of the head, causing him to drop the sticks. He looked down and saw the now bruised apple on the ground. A small yelp came from the tree next to him and when Rainkeeper looked up, there was a dragon's snout just inches away from his face. 

Rainkeeper yelped and jumped back, causing the other dragon to laugh. Rainkeeper raised an eyebrow at the dragon as he took her in. The dragon looked to be his age, and was somehow dangling upside down from a tree branch. Her tail was wrapped tightly around the branch and she stared curiously at him with beautiful blue eyes. Rainkeeper gazed into her eyes for a moment before shaking himself. 

"I haven't seen you before." the girl remarked, swinging down from the branch and landing gracefully on the ground. Up in the tree, a gray sloth took her spot and made a gurgle-like sound. Rainkeeper studied the sloth for a moment. It reminded him of his mother's sloth, Silver, but this one was messier. 

"Sorry about the apple." the girl apologized. "Tree-bud doesn't really like dragons. Well, except for me." she added. Rainkeeper stared at her in confusion. "Oh!" she said in realization. She pointed to the sloth. "That's Tree-bud. I'm Pear. What's your name? Is it Colorful dragon? Because your wings are very colorful. Can I call you Colorful dragon? I'm gonna call you colorful dragon." she said excitedly. Rainkeeper blinked. 

"Um. My name is Rainkeeper." he offered. The girl -Pear- smiled. 

"That's a nice name. It suits you. Maybe I'll call you Rainy instead. Wait. Does that mean you can make it rain? I mean, probably not, but with all the weird powers the other Nightwings have I wouldn't be surprised if you could. Okay, yes I would, but still. Can you make it rain? Wait! Don't answer that. If you can make it rain, then do that instead!" she chattered. Rainkeeper grinned. He liked this dragon. 

"How did you get in that tree?" Pear paused. 

"You've never climbed a tree?"  Rainkeeper frowned. 

"Why would you climb a tree when you can just fly up to where you want to be?" 

"So that you could see the world in a different way of course!" she explained. She studied him for a moment, then a smile grew across her face. "That's it! Rainy, I'm gonna teach you how to climb a tree." she declared. Rainkeeper grinned. 

"Okay," he said cautiously. He paused, unsure if he should ask this or not. "So...are we like, um..." he trailed off. Pear caught on. 

"Friends?" she finished for him. "I've never had a friend before. I mean, except for Tree-bud." she admitted. 

"Me neither."

"Well, then, I'd say we're friends." Pear proclaimed. Rainkeeper grinned. 

"I like that."

Later.....

It was dinner time. Rainkeeper sat at the table with Joy and his parents. 

"I made a friend today," he announced with a grin. Glory smiled at him. 

"That's great!" she insisted. "What's his name?"

 "Her name is Pear." Rainkeeper corrected her. "She has a sloth named Tree-bud and she's gonna teach me to climb trees." he declared. Deathbringer looked at him. 

"Why would you climb trees when you could just fly around them?" he asked. Rainkeeper grinned. 

"Pear says it's so you can see the world in a different way." he proclaimed. And I think I am, he added in his head.