Attack

It had been one week since Thorn's letter. Glory now had three more camouflage guards on her and Jambu was at Rainkeeper's side at all times. The little dragonet didn't seem to mind, though. He liked his uncle. Despite Glory's protests, Deathbringer had also begun to train Rainkeeper in fighting. Just a few things that would help him with self defense, he assured Glory. And he had to admit, that dragonet learned fast. Within a few days he had mastered the beginner fighting skills Deathbringer had shown him. Rainkeeper may have looked like his father, but he definitely took after his mother. 

But despite the new precautions, there was still a time when Glory was more vulnerable. During suntime, her Rainwing guards would go to sleep, leaving Deathbringer as her only protection. But they didn't worry about this. Glory knew that she could handle herself, and if she couldn't, then Deathbringer would protect her. It was all he wanted to do. To make sure that everyone he cared about was always safe. He didn't think he could handle another Quickstrike incident. 

It happened during Suntime. Jambu and Rainkeeper had sneaked off to go pick berries. Glory and Deathbringer were walking towards the pavilion. 

Between two platforms, there was a bridge made of vines. Glory crossed it, Deathbringer a few steps behind her. He thought he spotted something move in the tree near the platform, so he stopped to look. Glory kept walking. But as soon as she reached the other platform, a Sandwing leapt from the tree and tackled her. 

Elsewhere in the forest....

Jambu and Rainkeeper wandered into a clearing in the forest, searching for berry bushes. But instead of finding berries, something else happened. A small rustle was heard in the trees, and Jambu glanced up as a Sandwing burst into the clearing and lunged at Rainkeeper.

*****

Glory let out a small scream as she was tackled to the ground. The Sandwing clamped her mouth closed, preventing her from using her venom. She struggled to get out of his grip as he wrapped his talons around her neck, cutting off her air. 

Deathbringer whipped around at the scream and saw a flash of yellow scales. He jumped onto the platform and pinned down the Sandwing's tail with his foot, preventing the attacker from poisoning him as he lunged at the dragon who would dare to hurt Glory.

*****

Rainkeeper was thrown to the ground by the Sandwing, but not for long. Jambu tackled the dragon off of him and they wrestled on the ground. Rainkeeper watched, and in his mind, his dad's voice rang out. "Whenever you're fighting a Sandwing, you have to neutralize their tail first, so that they can't poison you with the barb." So Rainkeeper's attention switched to the Sandwing's tail, that was stealthily getting closer to Jambu's chest as they fought. "Every dragon has one weak spot, no matter their tribe. It's on their tail." Deathringer's words sang. Seizing this advice, Rainkeeper grabbed the attacker's tail, and sank his teeth into the weak spot.

*****

Glory gasped for air as Deathbringer tackled the assassin away from her. The dragon's sharp talons had dug into her neck and she was bleeding, but she was alive. She stumbled to her feet as Deathbringer wrestled the Sandwing, keeping his tail pinned. Glory looked around frantically for something she could use to help him. Her eyes landed on an abandoned pile of sleeping darts. Perfect, she thought, taking off to grab one. 

*****

The attacker let out a roar in pain and whipped around to see Rainkeeper's teeth clamped down on his tail. The tiny dragonet gave him a small wave. The distraction was enough though, for Jambu to get out of the Sandwing's grip and to pull a small dart out of a pouch. 

*****

Glory raced over as Deathbringer pinned the Sandwing to the ground. Without hesitating, Glory stabbed the sleeping dart into the attacker, and he fell asleep a moment later. As soon as he was out, Deathbringer whipped around and examined Glory. 

"Are you alright?" he asked frantically, noting the shallow cuts on her neck and arms. 

"I'm fine." she insisted. "Are you?" Deathbringer nodded, and they glanced at the Sandwing, panting in relief. Then it hit them. They turned back to each other with wide eyes.

 "Rainkeeper." they whispered in unison. With that, they took off to the forest.

*****

The Sandwing slumped to the ground, unconscious, as another rustle was heard in the trees. Jambu staggered to his feet, clearly injured from the fight. Rainkeeper watched anxiously, his teeth still clamped down on the Sandwing's tail. But instead of seeing another assassin, the only dragons that burst into the clearing were Glory and Deathbringer. 

"Daddy!" Rainkeeper yelled, spitting the Sandwing tail out of his mouth. He raced over to his parents and lept into Deathbringer's arms. Glory rushed over to Jambu, who explained what had happened. 

"We fought bad guys!" Rainkeeper said happily. "I bit his tail at the weak spot, like you said to, and I pinned his tail. Then Uncle Jamboo hit him with a dart and he fell down!" Deathbringer let out a sigh of relief and hugged his son tightly. He was okay. Glory was okay. No one had died or even been seriously injured. They were safe again. 

Rainkeeper then took in the scratches on Deathbringer and on Glory. 

"Did you fight bad guys too?" he asked his dad. Deathbringer smiled at him. 

"As a matter of fact," he replied. "We did."