A Friend

It was night, but not everyone was asleep. Nightflyer walked silently out of his family's hut, careful not to wake up his parents, or worse, his little sister. Firefly could barely fly, yet she loved coming with him anytime he'd sneak out and go flying with the stars. But Nightflyer didn't want to fly with her tonight. Once he was out of the hut, Nightflyer took off into the sky. He flew until dawn broke. But when he began to head back home, he caught sight of the sunrise. It took his breath away so much that he stopped on one of the Rainwing's platforms to watch it.  It was beautiful. But Nightflyer wasn't the only one watching it.

Joy awoke early. She didn't know why, but it wasn't even dawn and she was wide awake. Quietly and stealthily, she snuck out of the hut, just as dawn broke. Many dragons said that Joy would grow up to be a great Queen, because of how much she loved her kingdom. It was true. Joy loved the rainforest with all her heart. She watched as the sun began to rise, until something caught her attention. There was a Nightwing sitting on one of the platforms, watching the sunrise. And she didn't know who it was.

Nightflyer thought that sunrises were peaceful. That they came at a moment when everything was quiet. And that they should not be interrupted by some crazy rainwing tackling you off the platform you were sitting on and pinning you to the forest floor. Joy, however, disagreed. 

"What's your name?" Joy asked curiously. Nightflyer stared at her. She'd just tackled him out of the sky and she wanted to know his name? 

"I'm Nightflyer." he said cautiously. "Can you please get off me?" 

"What, you don't want to know who I am?" 

 "No, I would just like to have this conversation in a scenario where you aren't pinning me to the ground." he insisted. She laughed. 

"Alright cliche Nightwing name guy," she replied, releasing him. "My name is Joy." 

"Well, nice to meet you, psychotic Rainwing with an emotion for a name." 

"You're the Nightwing that goes flying during the night, aren't you?" 

"Well, that's kinda've what my name implies so, yes." he replied. "Are you always happy and filled with Joy?" 

"Great Mother of Moons NO." she exclaimed. "I'm usually....." she trailed off. Nightflyer thought to himself, searching his visions for this dragon. He could see that they were to be friends. Good friends, in fact. 

"Murderous?" he guessed. "Threatening? Oh, how about hostile? Or sarcasm as a dragon. I like that one."  Joy narrowed her eyes. 

"Why did you guess those?" she demanded. Realizing his mistake, he replied. 

"Oh, you know, the general impression, the fact that you tackled me off a platform for no apparent reason, your facial expressions, that sort of stuff." he explained. 

"Oh," 

Suddenly remembering the time, Nightflyer glanced up. The sun had completely risen. Dragons would be waking up soon. Dragons like his parents. And if he wasn't there when they woke up... His eyes widened in fear. 

"I have to go."

"Why?" 

"My parents will be up soon and if I'm not there....I have to go." he repeated. Joy realized it too. If she wasn't in the hut when her family was looking for her, all hell would break loose. 

"Shoot, you're right. I have to go too." she agreed. 

"I'll see you later." Nightflyer promised, taking off. 

"See you!" Joy called after him, running home. 

Little did either of them know that a great friendship had just begun.