Tag

Deathbringer stood outside a rainforest hut and sighed. Glory was having a meeting inside and she thought it would be better if he guarded from out here rather than by her side. That was annoying. Rainkeeper was away on some dragonet field trip and Joy was supposed to be taking a nap while Jambu watched her. 

Turns out Jambu wasn't very good at his job. 

"Hi Daddy!" a little voice cried. Deathbringer turned at the sound to see Joy standing innocently on the platform. 

"You're supposed to be sleeping." he reminded her. 

"But dat's bowing. An Uncl' Jamboo fells asleeps so I has no one to plays wid. Will you play wid me, Daddy?" she begged. Deathbringer paused, staring at her hopeful face. 

Glory found Deathbringer and Joy's relationship hilarious. Joy was only a few months old, but she already had Deathbringer and Rainkeeper wrapped around her talon. They would practically do anything she asked. But she didn't use it to her advantage or greedily, she just wanted to run and play. In Deathbringer's defense, it was impossible to say no to Joy. She had this little adorable face that would crush you if you made her sad. Deathbringer had no idea where she'd gotten this spell-like face from, but Glory did. The day Joy learned a smirk, smug expression, or sarcasm, it would make sense to Deathbringer. Many of the older Rainwings said that they pitied the boys that would fall for Joy. And with Rainkeeper and Deathbringer protecting her....some crushes would be just that. Crushes.

Deathbringer peeked into the meeting room. The dragons were deep in discussion, bound to not move for a while. He could sneak away and be back before the meeting ended. 

"Alright." he agreed. 

"YAY!" Joy yelled, jumping with excitement "Les play tag!" she suggested. 

"Okay," Deathbringer said, smiling at the now yellow dragonet. 

"I'lls be it." Joy volunteered. "Yous has to run." she told him.  Chuckling slightly, Deathbringer shook his head and jogged into the forest at a pace he knew Joy could keep up with. "Imma GET YOU!" she shrieked, running after him. 

Laughing, Deathbringer and Joy ran through the forest, tagging each other. Every time Deathbringer would catch the small girl, she would erupt into a fit of giggling that made Deathbringer laugh with her. They ran all over the forest. 

At one point, they were nearing the Nightwing village, Joy was it. Deathbringer stopped in a small clearing, looking around. Joy was nowhere to be seen. Deathbringer spun in a circle searching with his eyes. He heard footsteps approach, but as he turned toward them, a small flurry of yellow scales jumped from a tree onto him. Caught off guard and disoriented, Deathbringer fell to the ground. Joy laughed, resting on his chest. 

"I gots you!" she cried happily. Deathbringer cracked a grin and laughed, causing Joy to giggle more. 

"Wow." a cold voice said haughtily. "Have your assassin skills really diminished so much that you got beat by a six-month old Rainwing dragonet?" Deathbringer stopped laughing. He sat up and glared at the Nightwing. But before he could snap a comeback, Joy spoke, her scales now a flaming red. 

"I has you know," she retorted. "That I is seven months old, you big ugly walrus. And my daddy can tots-ally beats you!" The Nightwing raised a eyebrow as Joy stuck her tongue out at him. Deathbringer grinned. 

"Come on Joy. Let's leave the ugly walrus to his fish." he announced. Joy nodded and took her dad's talon as they walked back to the Rainwing village.