I Will Protect Her. No Matter What.

It was common knowledge throughout Pyrrhia that only daughters, sisters, nieces, and granddaughters could challenge the Queen for the throne. But even so, no one expected what happened in the rainforest. 

The Rainwing and Nightwing throne didn't have an heir, seeing as Glory didn't have a daughter. But since Glory and Deathbringer had two eggs just weeks away from hatching, no one worried. But there was technically someone in line for the throne, someone no one had considered until afterwards. 

Pineapple was Jambu's daughter. Jambu was Glory's brother. That made her Glory's niece, and able to challenge her for the throne. But no one ever expected her too. So, it was a shock when she did. But it was even more of a shock when they found out what Pineapple did when she lost.

It was another busy day in the rainforest. Glory followed her jobs and attempted to avoid questions related to her recent challenge. It had been a camouflage contest and Glory had won, so she kept her throne. Deathbringer followed her throughout the day, and Rainkeeper spent time sorting fruit with Mangrove. Even he was rattled by the challenge. Pineapple was only five years older than him, at the near adulthood mark of seven. He had never really considered what life would be like if his mom wasn't Queen. 

It was near sundown. Glory sighed as she slumped down at her desk to answer letters. 

"Anything you need me to do for you?" Deathbringer asked, knowing she wouldn't be leaving anytime soon. 

"Could you check on the eggs for me?" Glory asked. He nodded and left the hut en route to the hatchery. 

*****

Pineapple fumed, pacing the forest floor. How could she have lost? She was prepared to win! Not to lose in some stupid contest. She expected Glory to fight her, not some entertainment charade. I have to be queen, she proclaimed. But how? There was an easy way, of course. Just make sure she was the only heir. That plan had a problem though. Glory had two eggs in the hatchery, one of those could be a girl. 

Well then, Pineapple thought evilly. I guess I just have to get rid of them.

Pineapple stormed into the hatchery, brandishing a thick branch she'd pulled off a tree. There, on a slightly raised dais, was the two royal eggs. Left or right? she thought. With an evil grin, Pineapple walked to the right, and raised the branch like a club.

Deathbringer walked to the hatchery. When he neared the entrance, a furious yell shot through the air, coming from inside the hatchery. Deathbringer rushed inside to see Pineapple smashing a dragonet egg. 

Without a second thought, he lunged at her, wrestling her to the ground. Pineapple fought viciously, while Deathbringer attempted to take more care, trying not to harm any more eggs. Pineapple didn't care about that as she lept out of Deathbringer's grip into a clutch of eggs, smashing them. Her abandoned branch had crushed two more when it had been thrown away from her. Instead of fleeing while she had the chance, Pineapple launched herself at Deathbringer, on the attack. She was surprisingly strong and her eyes glittered like fire. 

Eventually, Deathbringer managed to get her outside the hatchery. Figuring he would have her arrested, Pineapple took off into the sky. Deatbringer watched her go before rushing back into the hatchery. It was bad. At least ten eggs had been crushed, including one of the royal ones. Deathbringer stared at the broken shell and collapsed to the ground in defeat and grief.

*****

Rainkeeper had just walked into his mother's office when a frantic-looking dragon burst into the room.