Moments

They were in the art cave again. Nightflyer watched adoringly as Air concentrated on a small sculpture, working at its mouth with a small tool. Nightflyer grinned. He could tell that she was deep in thought, her tongue creeping out of the corner of her mouth. Her eyebrows furrowed and he bit back a laugh. Not very well though. 

"What are you laughing at?" she asked, not looking up.

 "You." he replied. 

"Oh, I'm funny now, am I?" she questioned, glancing up. 

"No, it's just funny to see your tongue stick out as you work." he retorted. Air looked shocked. 

"I don't do that!" she exclaimed. Nightflyer let out a snort. 

"Yes you do." Rainkeeper agreed, not even looking away from his painting.

 "And you've known about this the whole time?!" Air demanded. Nightflyer nodded, silently laughing. "Oh, you're gonna get it." she declared, grabbing a brush and dipping it in bright pink paint. 

"Air," Nightflyer said nervously. "What are you doing?"

 "Turning you into a rainwing," she replied, dabbing a bit of the paint on his snout. Nightflyer let out a yelp and bolted for the door. "Get back here!" Air yelled, chasing after him. 

Rainkeeper chuckled at them  before returning to his painting. It was almost finished, and he was quite happy with how realistic it had turned out. It showed a tall tree in the rainforest, but a brightly colored, smiling rainwing was visible through the leaves, preparing to throw an apple. A mischievous looking sloth was next to her, as if he was approving of this plan they were concocting. 

Nightflyer screamed playfully as he ran through the school, Air chasing behind him and laughing, holding the paintbrush like a spear she was prepared to throw. They were running so fast that they failed to look down, causing them to trip and crash to the floor after stepping on some unfortunate dragonet. The dragonet in question didn't seem to mind. Nightflyer and Air glanced over to see Squelch, Firefly, Auklet, and a Sandwing they didn't know rolling on the floor with laughter. A scroll was lying abandoned on the ground next to them. Nightflyer grinned. But his face fell as Air smiled evilly and raised the paintbrush. With a shriek they were back to running. 

"I'm gonna get you!" Air promised, making Nightflyer yell louder. He crashed into Clay, shoving him into the wall as he kept running. 

"What the-" Clay began. But before he could react, Air came running by, the paintbrush smearing a streak of pink on his brown scales. "Air!" he yelled back, but she was laughing too hard to hear him. 

Finally, Nightflyer tripped again and tumbled to the floor. Air shrieked with laughter and tripped on him, landing on top of the Nightwing. She blushed, making her maroon scales even redder. They stayed there laughing for a minute before Air smeared what paint was left on the brush all over him. There wasn't much left and Air got the feeling that they'd be following a pink trail back to the art cave. The thought only made her laugh harder. 

They were at it again. It was deep into the night, and Kelp and Joy were in the middle of yet another dance lesson. But lately, there hadn't been as much teaching involved. Now it was just about dancing until their feet gave out. Today was no exception. 

They danced and danced, their feet a blur, spinning and swaying, tapping and twirling. 

Kelp's heart was pounding with the music in his head. The logical voice in his head grew weaker with every step. He didn't care how much he wasn't supposed to have this. He didn't care how much it would hurt later on because he knew it'd be worth it. 

Joy felt similar. She didn't care how anyone would react, she didn't care what they thought. She knew it would cause problems later, but that didn't matter. She just wanted to save the way he made her feel forever. He just wanted to have one good thing in his life that he deserved. 

Around and around they went in this circle, fighting wars with themselves. But Kelp was tired of circles.

 That's why, when he spun her close, and she turned her head, and their lips were just inches apart, he closed the distance. It wasn't exactly planned, but he did it anyways. 

He kissed her. 

And she didn't pull away. 

A few moments of eternity later, they broke apart, both of them panting slightly. But that wasn't from the energy of dancing; it was from the buzz they both still felt on their lips. They stared at each other, neither knowing what to say, or what they wanted to hear. More moments passed as the feeling wore off, leaving their hearts heavy with emotions they were forbidden to have. But neither of them cared. That's probably why, a second later, Joy kissed him. She grabbed Kelp by the neck and kissed him. His eyes closed, savoring everything. Everything- from the fruit she smelled of, to the way his arms fit around her waist, to how her arms fit around his neck, to the strange sweetness he could taste as they kissed. No matter what happened between them in the future, they both knew that this one moment would stay with them forever. And one moment was all they needed to throw away everything the world thought was right.

Seashell frowned as she walked down the hallway. Moon had suggested that the group should find some activity that they could all do together, but it was hard to find something that everyone liked. 

Qibli and Joy liked music, Air liked art. 

Seashell liked to gossip, Moon liked to read. 

Kelp and Nightflyer liked to play games, and Winter just downright hated everything. 

Finding a common interest was a painful task. Seashell sighed and then stopped dead in her tracks. There, on one of the message boards, was the answer to her problem. 

"Perfect." she decided, running down the hall to find her friends. 

Like Hunting? Want to get out of JMA for a little while? the sign read. Sign up for our first ever hunting trip! Plenty of spots still available! Talk to Clay if you have any questions.