Confessions

A/N: Like the cover?

Nightflyer paced back and forth across the room, his mind racing.

 "Nightflyer, would you please calm down?" Firefly pleaded.

 "Calm down. Calm down?! I just found out my baby sister is an animus, and you want me to CALM DOWN?" he retorted.  

"Hey. I am not a baby." she said defensively. 

"You are to me." he replied. He stopped pacing and sighed, rubbing the spot between his eyes. "Who else knows?" 

"No one. I just found out today." Firefly admitted. "Nightflyer, please please don't tell anyone! I don't want anyone to know!" 

"Not even Mother and Father?"

"Especially not Father and Mother."

"Firefly they should know," he said, trying to sound reasonable. She paused for a moment. 

"Promise me you won't tell anyone." 

"I promise." Nightflyer swore with a sigh. 

"No, that's not good enough. Promise me, Nightflyer. Not a soul. Not, Dad, not Mother, not even Air." she repeated. Nightflyer froze. He hadn't even considered Air. But... he couldn't keep a secret from her! This was Air they were talking about. But he also couldn't betray his little sister's trust... 

Moons, this was all so confusing. 

"I promise I will not tell a soul." he vowed. Firefly sighed with relief. "But I still think you should tell Mother and Father. In your own time, if not soon."  he added. Firefly nodded. 

"I'll think about it." 

The Next Day...

The usual group was sitting at their normal place in the Prey Center. Seashell and Moon were whispering happily about how the talon length distance between Joy and Kelp had gotten shorter. Nightflyer was staring smugly at Kelp and Joy, wondering if they would say anything. 

"What are you staring at?" Joy finally demanded. 

"Oh, nothing." he commented. "But you two were very naughty dragons last night." The others frowned as Joy went pink and Kelp's eyes widened. 

"Nightflyer. You say one word, and I'll cut your freaking heart out." Joy growled. He grinned again. 

"What did they do?!" Seashell, Moon, and Air yelled at the same time. 

"Tell us!" Seashell added. Nightflyer glanced from the girl's hopeful faces to Joy's murderous one. 

"I'm afraid I can't say," he admitted. "for I happen to value my life." 

"Wise choice," Joy snapped. Red and pink swam on her scales until Kelp calmly put a talon on her shoulder. Then her scales slowly paled to a calm blue. "I'm watching you." she commented. 

"You don't have to," Nightflyer promised. "Just, next time, make sure I'm really asleep." Seashell let out a scream of frustration.

 "NOW I NEED TO KNOW EVEN MORE!" she yelled. They laughed.

Later...

Air and Nightflyer were in an empty cave. The day was winding down as they watched the stars come out from a window.

 "So, what's new and upcoming with you?" Nightflyer questioned. Air grinned. 

"Not much, really. Webs wants me to trace some maps for some project he's planning, so beware your future history assignments." she warned. He let out a laugh. 

"That's it? That is really all that is happening in the incredulous world of Air?" he asked. 

"Well, there is one other thing..." she admitted. "But you probably don't want to hear about it." 

"Try me." 

"My Mother's coming for a visit in two days." she explained with a smile. "It's my hatching day and so she, Squelch, Dad and I are going to do something." Nightflyer's jaw dropped. 

"It's your hatching day?" he said in shock. 

"Yes,"

 "And you thought I wouldn't care? I didn't know you had your hatching day while we were at school! Why didn't you say anything last year, we could've thrown a party!"

 "Well, last year we were a little busy trying not to get killed," she retorted. 

"Touché" Nightflyer replied with a shrug. "But don't think that I am going to let it pass back this year like just another day." 

"Three moons, now I'm slightly scared." She admitted. Nightflyer grinned.

 "Don't be," he insisted. "I am simply going to make sure this is one hatching day you will never forget."