Another End To Another Year

The last day of JMA had finally arrived and as old and new friends waved goodbye, our familiar group sat in their usual place, on a ledge outside the mountain. 

"You all better visit more this summer," Joy threatened playfully. She poked at Winter. "That means you Frosty." 

"Ah, yes. Because spending more time in my least favorite place in the world is exactly what I want to do this summer." he countered. 

"Aw, come on Winter!" Air pleaded. 

"Just one little visit?" Qibli asked. 

"Please?" Moon begged. "For us?" Winter glared at them.

 "One visit." he agreed. They cheered. "But then I'm not going back to the Rainforest until Joy and Kelp's wedding." he added, causing the dragons in questions to go pink as the others laughed. 

Firefly hugged Squelch and Coal tight, not wanted the to leave. 

"Firefly, we do have to breathe at some point." Coal commented.

 "Sorry!" she exclaimed, releasing them. The boys fake gasped and laughed. "You two BETTER write me this summer." she ordered. 

"And if we don't don't?" Squelch asked. 

"Then on the first day of school I'm giving you each a list of scrolls and I won't talk to you until you have read them all." she threatened. They looked momentarily terrified. 

"Ow." Coal began. "For a dragon with fire, you're cold." 

"Then it's a good thing you're nearby to warm me up, Mr. Radiating Heat Scales." she retorted. 

Rainkeeper stood at the school's entrance, studying his mural from last year with a faint smile on his face. He had added more to it last week, but he didn't think anyone had noticed. He traced one of the pictures with his talon, his thoughts spinning with whether or not to come back to school next year. Pear needed him in the Rainforest, but Joy might need him at school, in case Pineapple ever came back. He looked out at the ledge, where Joy was laughing with her friends, one of Kelp's wings wrapped around her. She had dragons here that would protect her, that he knew. But he still wasn't sure. Should he go back to school?

A While Later....

They were back home, safe in the rainforest. But not particularly happy. Nightflyer moped at first, missing Air, but he was slowly going back to normal, normal now including writing daily letters. On the day they came back, Rainkeeper bolted into the forest the first chance he got, searching for Pear.

Pear sighed. It was lonely being up in the trees by herself. It was strange; she had never minded being alone before she met Rainkeeper, in fact, she preferred solitude. No one could hit her if she was alone. But now, whenever Rainy wasn't around, it was.....quiet. She knew why she missed the prince so much, but she didn't want to admit it out loud. Suddenly, Tree-bud jumped up and when chasing through the trees, running to something. 

"Tree-bud!" Pear cried, rushing after her sloth. Tree-Bud was a very demanding sloth, but he was nice enough. Pear had never taken him to her house, for fear that her father might kill the creature if he wasn't in a good mood. Or if he'd had too much Cactus cider, which was usually the case when he got angry. Pear shook herself at the thought. But things were a little better now. Usually, Pear's dad was furious when she wasn't home, when he couldn't hit her whenever he wanted. But now, he got mad when she was there, demanding that she get out, that she was a disgrace and a waste of energy. He didn't want her in the house at all, which suited Pear just fine. She didn't get hit if she didn't go back to that house. It wasn't her home anyway. Her home was a memory, rather than a place. A memory of sitting on a tree branch, laughing for the first time in her life, with the only dragon that had ever actually cared. 

Rainkeeper was calmly walking through the forest when Tree-Bud let out a shriek and jumped on his face. He let out a yelp. 

"Tree-bud!" he yelled, knowing that if the sloth was here, Pear couldn't be that far behind. 

"RAINY!!!!" a voice above him shouted. A moment later, a blinding yellow Rainwing barreled into him. "YOU'RE BACK!" she cried. He hugged her tight. 

"Hey Pear!" he greeted her. She pulled away and grinned at him. Rainkeeper smiled back. This was the happiest he'd ever seen her, and the healthiest. There wasn't a single scratch on her, just the usual old scars. "You look great," he commented. Realizing what he said, he blushed slightly, but she didn't seem to notice. "Uh," he stammered. "I got something for you." 

"Really?" Pear said in surprise. "What is it?" He held out a small pouch. 

"Open it," he urged, a hopeful grin spreading across his face. Pear opened it and pulled out the object inside. It was a necklace, with a heart-shaped pendant. The heart looked glass-like, carved to look as if it were made of scales. It was a light pink color, but it looked like a sunset when held up to the light. There was something engraved on the back of it.

 "Rainy, it's beautiful." she breathed. He smiled. 

"I hoped you would like it." he admitted. "I made it. Well, I had some help, but still." She smiled and turned it over to get a closer look at the words. 

"What's this say?" she questioned, knowing she'd never be able to read it. Rainkeeper flashed pink as he blushed. 

"It, um...." he trailed off. "It says, 'I figured I'd give you a heart since you already stole mine.'" he said in a rush. He looked away in embarrassment. Pear grinned at him and hugged him.

 "Thank you." she replied. "Help me put it on?" 

"Of course," he agreed, helping her put the necklace on.