Chapter Ninety - I'm Willing To Give It A Shot

G sprinted away from Eston like his life depended on it.

Well, his life didn't really depend on it, but his standing with Eston did.

The truth was that G had an enormous pansexual crush on Eston, and letting that crush control his actions may have ruined their friendship.

The crush had started back at the end of Sophomore year, after Eston had saved G's life, and had bloomed from there. Which, of course, made Senior year a year of repressed gay thoughts, and weird masturbation sessions for G. (If you don't remember Eston saving G's life, go back and read chapter 23)

G slowed to a walk when he was sure Eston wasn't following him, and walked towards Theodosia, who stood like a proud mother duck at the front of the line.

David was with her, and G was glad that David had transferred to their school in 7th grade, because not only was he a great friend, he would also be standing between Eston and G in line since his last name was Jones.

"What's wrong?" Theodosia asked, immediately sensing G's distress.

"I kinda-sorta just kissed Eston and then ran away." G muttered. Theo and David were the only people, besides Will, who knew about his crush on Eston.

Theo patted him on the back. "Did he react badly?" She asked.

"I didn't stay long enough to see him react." G admitted.

"Well, that means it might have been a good reaction!" Theodosia said, smiling halfheartedly.

G shrugged his shoulders.

"Georges."

G turned his head to look at Eston, who had just showed up.

"We need to, uh, talk." Eston said, gesturing over his shoulder with his thumb. G could see George a few yards behind him, thumbs-upping them and smiling.

"O-ok." G said awkwardly, following after Eston to a more quiet corner of the Grand Hallway.

"Look," Eston said, turning to G "I know that this like is the last day I'll see you for a while, since you're going to France soon, but I've had a crush on you for like two years, and I would be fine with a long distance relationship, if you wanted to be in a relationship at all. Because, God damn it, G, you're so kind and loving and smart and funny, and I am in awe of you everyday. And I know I don't believe relationships started on the last day of school, like this one, are going to last, but I'm willing to give it a shot if you are."

Eston was stumbling over his words, and it was clear there was a lot more he wanted to say, but couldn't find a way to include them in his speech.

For a second G wanted to refuse. He had seen how upset and heartbroken his Papa had been when his Mama had died, but then he remembered how in love his Papa was with Hercules Mulligan now, and all fear of heartbreak left.

It was possible that maybe one day Eston could die before reaching old age, or stop loving G, but Eston had said he was willing to give it a shot, and so was G.

"I'm willing to give it a shot, too." G said, smiling widely.

"Can I kiss you?" Eston asked, smiling too.

G nodded.

(G: maybe 'I'm willing to give it a shot' can be our 'okay', like from The Fault in Our Stars.
Eston: Didn't one of them die, though?
G: Shush, you're ruining it.)