Chapter Forty Seven - Thanksgiving Plans

(It's snowing here and I'm upset because it's supposed to be April)

George yawned and sat up, reaching over to turn off the beeping alarm clock on his bedside table.

Tiger meowed in annoyance as George climbed over him to get off the bed.

Through the two windows situated at the top of the wall George could see it was still dark out. He turned on a lamp and pulled on some jeans and gray longsleeved shirt.

George walked into the adjoined bathroom and combed his hair as easily as he could. He also put on some deodorant (gotta smell good for Philip) and walked upstairs to the ground floor.

Even though he could sleep upstairs if he wanted to, George liked having his bedroom in the basement because it gave him more privacy, and made him feel a bit safer from his Father.

Speaking of his Father, who's name was Jacob, was passed out on the couch, a beer bottle hanging loosely in his hand that dangled off the couch. Several more empty beer bottles sat on the coffee table indicating how much beer Jacob had had last night.

George tiptoed around his Father and went into the kitchen to make himself a bagel.

Jacob mumbled something, which made George tense for a moment before he began snoring again.

George grabbed a pen and x'ed out a Monday on the calendar that hung on the kitchen wall. Since Thursday was Thanksgiving they only had two days of school that week.

George never liked Thanksgiving. It reminded him of when he was little and his dad would actually bother to make dinner for the holiday. Now George doubted he even remembered that Thursday was Thanksgiving.

George's watch beeped, and he grabbed his bag and headed out the door.

-time skip-

"What are you doing for Thanksgiving?" Philip asked George. Ever since George had told Philip about his dad, Philip had begun to spend as much time as he could with George each day.

"Not much." George said, getting his things out of his locker for 3rd hour.

"You could come spend Thanksgiving at my house." Philip said "Will, G, and Frances will be there."

"I don't want to intrude on you spending time with your family." George said.

"It'll be fine. Plus, my Grandpop and Grammy will be there, and they're like the only people who can control my Pops." Philip insisted.

"Wouldn't your parents mind?" George asked.

"Naw, we've had weirder Thanksgivings." Philip said.

"I don't know." George said.

"Please?" Philip asked, doing the puppy eyes George had learned recently that he couldn't resist.

"Ok, I'll come." George said.

"Yay! I'll see you later!" Philip cheered before leaving to go to class.

George smiled. Maybe Thanksgiving would be enjoyable this year.