Chapter Twenty Five - Angst Queen

The moonlight shone threw the window of Philip's room at his mother's house, illuminating a large patch of the carpet.

It wasn't too late yet, only 10:30pm. Philip could still hear Peggy moving things around in her art studio down the hall. Peggy wasn't a quiet person.

Philip's phone buzzed from it's place on his nightstand, and he went to get it, since he couldn't sleep anyways.

Eacker: Can I ask you something?

Me: Sure.

Eacker: Do you like having me as a friend?

Me: what do you mean?

Eacker: Are you happy being my friend, or do I embarrass you? Are we even friends?

Me: Why wouldn't we be friends?

Eacker: I broke your fucking arm.

Me: True. But I like having you as a friend, why wouldn't I?

Eacker: Because I'm a bad person.

Me: What makes you think that?

Eacker: The past.

Me: That's kinda vague.

Eacker: Nevermind.

Me: No don't leave!
Me: But you are a good person, on the inside at least.

Eacker: What do you mean by that?

Me: You tend to act meaner and more mysterious than you actually are.

Eacker: That's rude. I am totally a mysterious person.

Me: A mysterious person who likes cats and understands Adventure Time references.

Eacker: Shut up.

Me: Haha.
Me: Now can I ask you a question?

Eacker: Go ahead.

Me: Why do you act mean and mysterious?

Eacker: If I don't have a lot of friends the less people I can hurt.

Me: What do you mean?

Eacker: I'm afraid I'll one day break, and hurt someone and regret it, or be unable to stop hurting them.

Me: Oh wow that's pretty angsty.

Eacker: I'm trying to open up to you and you're attacking me.

Me: Eh.
Me: But why would you think that about friends and shit like that?

Eacker: I don't want to go into detail, but I haven't had the most normal childhood.

Me: My dad wanted kids so he had my mom be the surrogate mother, and my Pops was in the army during that, so he didn't find out he had kids until Frances and I were a couple months old. Try me.

Eacker: You have a weird family.
Eacker: My mom left when I was little, it kinda feels like I made a mistake, or she didn't love me enough, so the less friends I have the less likely it is for that to happen again.

Me: Oh damn, super angst.
Me: That was inappropriate. I'm sorry.
Me: Anyways, you'll always be enough, George. The people that don't stay aren't enough, if that makes sense.

Eaker: When did you get so profound?

Me: I've always been profound.

Eaker: Ok, goofball.

Philip grinned at his phone screen as he changed George's name in his contacts.

Me: Goodnight, Angst Queen.

Angst Queen: Goodnight.

(If you were confused by this at all: George was opening up to Philip, and Philip was calling him angsty.)