Chapter Fifty Eight - Philip Has Good Friends

(Philip gets sad easily, and that's why he tries to be happy all the time.)

The Homecoming Parade ended at the old town hall at the edge of town where Homecoming and Prom where usually held.

Since the school was small, so they could all fit comfortably in the emptied out ground floor, so why not use it for dances?

The parade would start any minute now, judging by Philip's watch.

Philip looked up and sighed. From his place on the sidewalk he could see the roofless car George and Theodosia were riding in, and just behind them was the large, badly made float the football team had crammed into the back of.

The were all laughing and talking like Philip didn't exist.

Philip mentally slapped himself. They knew he existed. They were laughing and talking because they had won the football game. They had a perfectly good reason to be happy.

And because of this, Philip had no valid reason to be upset.

"Why so sad?" Frances asked him, snapping Philip out of his thoughts.

"I'm not sad!" Philip said defensively.

"Please." Frances said "I've known you since we were in the womb together. I can tell when you're sad."

"You really don't hide your sadness that well." David said. He and Will we're also standing with the twins.

"It's not even a real reason to be sad." Philip said.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Will asked.

Philip shook his head.

"Do you want a hug?" Frances asked opening her arms.

Philip nodded and the three of them swallowed him up in their arms.

Philip buried his face in Frances's shoulder, and let his friends hug him.

"I was just feeling kind of ignored by George and the rest of them." Philip eventually said "It's not even a good reason to be upset."

"Sometimes people are just sad." Frances said "You don't always need a reason. But that doesn't stop us from being here for you, ok?"

Philip nodded and the hug ended.

"Since we're talking about bad reasons to cry, I've cried because Obama isn't going to be president forever, and sometimes I've cried for no reason at all." David said.

"I've cried about math homework, so feeling a bit ignored is as good a reason as any." Frances added.

They all turned to Will for him to say his stupid reason for crying.

"I've never cried, ever." Will said "You all are weaklings."

(If you think Philip has a stupid reason for crying you can shut up, I bet you cried when he got shot in the musical, and that happened over 200 years ago. Plus I need it for plot.)