Chapter Seventy Eight - Court and Some Other Stuff

(Is this how courts works? Idk.

Trigger warning for a little talk of abuse and a bit of homophobia)

The next time George saw his father was in the court room, being ushered in with his hands handcuffed behind him.

He had bags under his eyes, an his clothes and hair were messy. A large bruise took over the area around his left eye- the place George had punched him.

He saw George, and a look of rage overtook his face. He opened his mouth- probably to shout insults at George- but the Judge entered, and case began before he could do so.

The court case passed in a blur. George came up and testified once, but for the most part Aaron Burr, who was George's lawyer, was the one who proved Jacob guilty.

Alexander Hamilton was Jacob's lawyer, but he purposely did a bad job of defending his client. At several times he started talking about topics completely different than the matter at hand, and had to be reminded by the judge that court was not the place go talk about his kids, and his opinions on Donald Trump.

The only part George could clearly remember was when the jury deemed Jacob guilty with terminated parental rights and 30+ years in prison, and he was dragged out of the room, kicking and screaming insults at his son. (Is 30+ years an actuate prison sentence? They're in New York btw.)

Their eyes met, and Jacob glared and whispered "faggot." at George before he was pulled out of the room.

Aaron Burr walked over and patted George soothingly on the back, like a dad should instead of abusing their kid.

"Can we go?" George asked quietly. Aaron nodded and wrapped his arm around George's shoulders as they walked out of the court room.

Theodosia and Philip stood outside the room as George and Aaron exited. Theodosia walked go her dad and they began to talk about what had happened in the court room, leaving George and Philip alone.

George hadn't yet learned what Philip thought of the situation, and he was a bit scared for what Philip would say. He looked at the Burrs for a moment before his gaze turned to Philip.

Philip was as warm and inviting as ever, and George instantly forgot all worries that Philip wouldn't support him. Philip smiled a small smile at him, and George walked over quickly and wrapped his arms around his boyfriend.

Philip hugged him back just as tightly, his fingers digging into George's back. George buried his face into Philip's neck, and let Philip pat his hair in a comforting manner.

"I love you." Philip whispered quietly, still holding onto George.

"I love you even more." George answered.