Chapter Eighty Four - Eston's Birthday

(Ok, so I'm going to write this chapter for Eston's birthday, and then go right into the graduation chapters)

Crowded together on the bed in the screened-in porch of the Jefferson house, George and his friends watched the stars.

Eston had his birthday cake balanced on his lap, and they all had forks to eat it with.

Eston's five older siblings, and his younger brother were there, but all of them were inside with their parents except Jane and Lucy, his older sisters, and Madison, his younger brother.

Madison was small and quiet, and there had been several times in the night so far that George had forgotten the freshman was there until he looked over to find Madison taking a bit of the cake. Jane was loud, but perhaps the smartest of the Jefferson's, and Lucy always seemed to be stressed.

"The year has gone by pretty fast, hasn't it?" Frances asked "It seems like only yesterday that George broke Philip's arm."

"It has." G said quietly, hugging his knees and looking out at the lawn.

"My year was pretty good!" Jane said "I'm going to be a valedictorian at graduation."

"Cool!" Theodosia said excitedly. She, David, and Jane all immediately started talking about college.

"Ugh. I don't wanna talk about college." Philip said, falling asleep and resting his head on George's shoulder.

"Let's talk about summer then," Frances said "any of you have plans?"

"I'm going to join a strip club this summer." Dick said.

"Any appropriate plans?" Frances asked.

"We're going to France, Will and I and our family." G said.

"For how long?" Eston asked.

"Pretty much the whole summer." G answered.

"But then I won't get to see you before I go down to college!" Eston exclaimed.

G shrugged. George couldn't see his face in the darkness.

"Lets go outside and catch lightning bugs!" Philip exclaimed suddenly, noticing the floating little lights out in the yard.

"I'll get a jar." Eston said, disappearing into the house. George didn't get a chance to see his face either.

George watched his friends run out into the yard, wait for a lighting bug to glow, and then dash towards it.

"I got a jar." Eston said, coming back outside to sit with George on the bed.

"Are you gonna be alright?" George asked.

"What do you mean?" Eston asked.

"It sounds like you and G won't see each other much anymore." George answered.

"I'll be alright. It's not like I was expecting for us to end up together, or see each other every day after highschool. Life isn't perfect, unfortunately." Eston said, watching G run around his yard.

George patted Eston lightly on the back. "This isn't your best birthday, is it?" He asked.

"No, but I'm still content." Eston said.

"You don't seem very content."

"As long as he's happy" Eston gestured to G, who was laughing as he evaded Philip, who was chasing him "I can live with myself, even if he's not happy with me."

(Did you really think I was done with the angst?

I still have more angst coming, so get ready)