112

"Lilly, wake up. I ordered us breakfast."

I rolled over, still trying to get back to my dream, but knowing I was awake now. The smell of coffee came through my nose and I sat up, spluttering curses because I felt I wasn't nearly rested enough.

"Hey, hey. Easy now, kitty. I have your coffee."

"Give me, the precious." I lowered my voice, to mimic the voice of Golem from The Lord of The Rings, although I doubted Anthony knew anything about the fiction novel.

Instead, he laughed and handed me a white mug, that looked as if it hadn't been touched. I took a big whiff, and felt myself become slightly intoxicated.

"What flavor?" I asked, pressing the glass to my lips.

"Vanilla, your favorite."

My heart jumped; it was nice to have someone who cared enough for you to know your favorite flavor of coffee.

I gulped down the hot brew, and looked at the bed-table Anthony set over my lap with food. There were chocolate pancakes, almost the size of the island itself, a bowl of fresh fruit (pineapple, blueberries, mango, strawberries and raspberries), a glass of orange juice and a piece of toast with grape jelly.

Anthony had a similar meal, except instead of pancakes, he was eating eggs, sausage and bacon. A turn from his usual vegetarian approach.

I began eating my food, and when I heard Anthony wheeze, I looked up at him. He was sweating and he looked like he hadn't slept in days.

"Are you alright, Tony?"

He looked at me, his face a certain shade of pale, but he managed a sick grimace.

"Yeah. Just feeling the withdrawal.."

I felt a pang of worry and fear in my stomach and heart. Images of him shooting up flashed in quick bolts in my head, but I shook them away and focused on Anthony.

"Can I get you something?"

"Well you could get me some heroin, but that's not a good idea, being that I'm trying to detox. Alcohol would be good too, but.."

The very word, "alcohol", made me feel thirsty. I never understood addiction, but now that I've started drinking heavily, I know what the burden feels like.

"Let's just go shower." Anthony said, breathing heavily, although he was sitting down-hardly moving.

I nodded, crawled out of bed and helped him into the bathroom. From there I turned on the shower, set out towels and then we both quickly washed up. For most of the time, Anthony leaned on the wall or me, and let me wash him. I even helped him dry off, which wasn't an issue for me, because I enjoyed touching Anthony whenever I got.

He manged to get to the bed before collapsing aside of the breakfast tables. After that, I moved them out of the way, and sat next to him.

"How are you feeling now?"

"Better. I need some liquids though. Could you get me a glass of water though, please?"

"Of course."

I hurried into the kitchen, grabbed a glass and filled it with water, then I scurried back to Anthony and helped him drink.

"Thank you."

I nodded.

He licked his lips and took a deep breath.

"I might take a nap, and see how I feel afterwards. If I am okay, would you like to go down to the beach an surf?"

"I don't know how to, I'm afraid."

"That's why I'm going to teach you, babe."

**

While Anthony slept, I sat on the kitchen balcony, staring at the phone in my hand. I wanted to call John again, and the urge was almost too much to ignore. I punched in the numbers and pressed the phone against my ear.

The dial gave out to a clear voice. The voice of an answering machine.

I let out a sigh, and found my eyes dreaming while I watched the waters come in and out with the tide. Behind me I heard footsteps, but I didn't pay them any attention.

"Are you ready to leave now, goddess?"

I turned around and saw Anthony, standing tall and stoic, looking like he did when I first met him, but with darker and longer hair.

"Are you ready?" I said smirking.

He smiled, showing his pearly white teeth, and then held out his hand.

"Come on, let's go get your gear."

****

It was the second time I got back on a wave.

"Alright Lilly, here you are." Anthony calmly.

My eyes jolted around the water. There weren't many people at this section of the beach, which made me felt better. There was no one to laugh at me when I fell face first into the water.

"Just you and the water, okay? Nothing but you and the ocean, the waves, the universe."

His voice sank into me like butter, washing me over with a sense of confidence, although I knew this wasn't my scene.

"Now stand up on the board when you hear the wave coming. Take a deep breath and soften your body like you're going to accept a star into you. The ocean's power won't hurt you if you don't let it. Breathe in and breathe out."

I listened to Anthony's breathing, my breathing and the ocean's. It came in on a routine. Taking with it the peace of the world, and the sea-breathing creatures. I heard children laughing in the distance and then the powerful, intimidating roar of wave. I looked to Anthony who's eyes widened behind me, but then focused on me and sent me shocks of firm protection.

"Let it take you, Lilly. Don't take it!" He screamed over the wave.

I let out a breath of air and then scrunched my toes on the polished wood of the surf board.

The water hit me like a 200 pound bag of sand. It knocked me over, made me tumble through it like a toddler trying to perfect a somersault. I swallowed the water, lost my breathing and rose to the surface to see a glimpse of Anthony before another wave came down. I sank back down to the water and saw the light shine through the water, like it was Heaven.

Then, as quickly as I had fallen under, I was pulled up. Anthony grabbed me and carried me in his arms up to the beach, deserting the board in the water.

He rested me on the sand, and watched as I coughed up water.

"Are you okay?!" He stuttered, brushing the hair out of my face and wiping away the spluttered water.

I coughed and managed a struggled laugh.

"Peachy, how about you Kiedis?"

He smiled and then wrenched me back up to my feet. Anthony smacked my back, forcing me to cough up about a pint of water.

"Well, you definitely aren't a sea lover." He said laughing quietly, "You nearly drank the whole ocean!"

I smiled, "Yeah, yeah. Let's go home now."

Anthony carried me on his back back to our hotel room. I felt sick from swallowing all that water, and he didn't look so good either.

I stripped my suit off and walked into the bathroom, where Anthony joined me for another shower. We washed up, and climbed into bed. The sun had just begun to set, and with the doors open to the cool summer air, it was a nice time to fall asleep.

Anthony pulled me into his arms and let me rest my head on his chest.

"I guess no kitty tonight." I said.

"No, we're both too sick from withdrawal and the ocean to play. Maybe tomorrow."