4

Before I knew it, Monday had gone to rest, and Tuesday arrived quicker than I wanted. I went through my daily routine of waking up, showering, and slipping into my work clothes. The drive to work was depressing as usual, and as I walked through the back doors to see Kaity with a mischievous look on her face, I considered going home.

She skipped over to me, grinning like the Chesire cat, and finally, swallowing me in a hug. She pulled away, leaving me with a very, very confused look on my face. 

"Are you okay, Kaity?" I asked, taking my jacket off. 

She laughed, "I've decided on our plans for this weekend!" I watched her clap her hands together, in a declarative way, as I went to grab my apron from the closet. 

"Oh?" I asked, my voice traveling down the hall. I walked back into the front part of the diner, heading towards the cash register to count bills. 

Kaity stood in front of me, jumping up and down like a little kid on Christmas day, or in other words, me. 

"Well, go on, tell me," I radiated. 

She took a breath of air, and then the words all flooded out of her mouth. "Soooo, there's this new club on 1st street, and rumor is, IT'S SOO-PER HOT!" 

I felt vomit rise in my throat at the thought of a club. Dancing girls, horrible pop music and guys who's breath smelled too much like beer. Not to mention, I would have to wear something to fit the scene or Kaity would behead me. She noticed my skeptical look, 

"Oh come on, Lilly! It'll be fun. We haven't gotten out in ages! Plus, we need you to get some men action! It's not good for a girl as beautiful as you to be single." 

I snorted, "Yeah, well I'm okay with my records instead of any guy." I closed the cash register and walked around the counter to pour myself a cup of coffee as Kaity persisted. 

"Lilly. If you don't come with me to this club, I will never speak to you again." 

A small laugh escaped from my lips as I sipped some coffee. I turned around to face Kaity, and finally, let out a breath of annoyance. "Fine! When the fuck are we going?" 

She smiled wildly and squealed. "Tomorrow night! Which reminds me, we have to take YOU shopping. My goodness. I love you and all, but you don't have anything in your closet that shows off your cute figure."

"Kaity, you're being even preppier than usual, and it's making me want to not be your friend," I said jokingly. 

She laughed and pushed a strand of her wavy blond hair behind her ear. "So, then tomorrow morning I'll meet you at 11 at the mall! Okay?" 

I nodded my head and tried to see if I had the money for a new "clubbing" dress. I think I should be okay?

*** Next Day***

I walked through the mall doors, noticing immediately the teenage girls who had skipped high school, in their tight blue jeans and cropped sweaters, despite fall arriving. They walked around tangling their hair around their fingers and talking about how they gave some guy at their school head, and how everyone found out, mysteriously... I saw Kaity browsing the shop windows with a cup of coffee in her hand, and a bag from the bookstore. I called out her name, watching as her head snapped in my direction. So quickly, it scared me a little. She erupted into a smile and waved me over. As soon as I had made my way over, she was already going on about my outfit. 

"You wore sweatpants and a Ramones t-shirt to the mall!? Oh my God, look at your hair!" She picked up a strand of my long dark brown hair noticing a huge knot. 

"Number one, I don't care. Number two, I didn't have time, and number three, you need to stop hanging out with Loretta, she's turning you into a grade A Beverly Hills chick." 

Kaity let out a small laugh before grabbing my hand and pulling me into a dress store. "So, I think for you, a nice tight black dress that shows off your curves?" 

I croaked and Kaity just stared at me. "Lilly, this is happening."

A half an hour later, after trying on four dresses, I finally put on the one I liked the least. It was a tight, TIGHT, black dress, that ended mid thigh, with an unpleasantly low neck cut. I put it on and walked out of the dressing room, feeling shyer than when I had to change for gym class in high school. Kaity's eyes were bigger than soccer balls as she looked me up and down. 

"This is it! THIS. IS. IT!! Lilly, you look hot!" 

Great...