57

Anthony came out of the bathroom dressed and ready for the road. He was all happy, talking about how much he liked the opening shows. Especially Smashing Pumpkins.
I felt guilty for some reason, listening to Anthony go on and on about how good this tour was going, knowing one of the opening acts had deserted- or moved on.
"I just can't believe how great I feel about this tour man-"
"Anthony?"
"Yeah Lills?"
"Uh, I have to tell you something."
"What's up?"
"The, uh- the Pumpkins left.."
"What do you mean?"
"They dropped out from the tour, they needed to do their own thing I guess..."
I watched Anthony's face change from confused, to upset, to anger.
"WHAT? They dropped?"
I nodded, "But... you know man, you can't keep them here forever.. they're a good band and like Chad said "they've got a good future and we can't prevent them from reaching such great heights." So, try and- try and relax."
Anthony paced back and forth one or two times and then his posture softened, "You're right- Chad's right. But who the fuck is going to open? All we have is Pearl Jam!"
I quickly hugged him, "We'll figure it out."
****
I woke up halfway through the ride to Arizona, snuggled in Anthony's arms as he discussed the tour with the rest of the band.
"I don't know what the fuck we're gonna do man." Flea said.
I moved closer to Anthony's chest and took a deep sigh.
"Can't we just go the rest of the tour with Pearl Jam?"
"Nah, dude we've got the entire west coast leg of the tour! No way we're gonna be able to play the whole time with just two bands." Chad said.
They all thought about it a little while longer, and I just just focused on the radio.
"Here's the newest track from Nirvana, a Seattle based group, Smells Like Teen Spirit."
Nirvana is coming out with new shit? God, I fucking loved Bleach! I dove over Anthony's lap and pushed myself towards the stereo, turning the nob to high volume. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. This was going to be huge, and I was head banging along to the beat. The drumming sounded new, though..
During the middle of the song, I knew this was what the Peppers needed. This had to be the new act, and I wasn't going to stop until they were.
I spun around and faced the boys.
"This is what you need!" I said yelling over the music.
Flea jumped up and turned it down, listening to it a little more carefully.
"They're pretty good!"
Anthony nodded, "Yeah man!"
I smiled, "So are you going to put 'em on?"
"I don't know dude, they're probably too busy."
"Come on! You guys need them on!"
Anthony laughed, "Alright, I'll call. I think I know the drummer anyways? Maybe he'll put in a good word."
Hell fucking yes.

Anthony kissed my forehead, "Another great suggestion from a great girl."