134

I paced back and forth in the kitchen of mine and Anthony's home, running my fingers through my now almost-shoulder-length dark hair. It was midnight, and exactly three weeks since our honeymoon. Anthony was dead asleep after doing a press conference for One Hot Minute...their tour was to start soon. So much was hitting me at once, and on top of this, I was two weeks late for my period. This is why I was up at midnight pacing the kitchen in the dark gloom of a Californian September moon.

The phone sat on the counter and the pregnancy test beside it. Did I want to do this? Was I sure I needed to? As a young girl my period skipped multiple times, but was this that, or the BIG thing? I knew I was too scared to have any clear thoughts, so naturally I called my dearest. John.

He answered within the first ring, letting me know he probably couldn't sleep (since John and I reunited and regained communication, we talked every night when we could, catching up on months of news. He had told me that he had trouble sleeping most nights after getting clean. On nights he couldn't he'd call me and we'd talk about oceans or forests.).

"Lilly?" He asked immediately.

"Yeah," I said lowering my voice to a whisper, "It's me."

John hushed his tone, "Why are you whispering?"

I looked up the stairwell, making sure Anthony was standing in the hall. I grabbed the pregnancy test off the counter and quietly slipped out onto the back porch, and wandered into the yard.

"Anthony's asleep, and I need to talk to you about something...important."

"What is it? Is something wrong?" He questioned.

"No... well, yeah. I'm two weeks late for my you-know-what."

"Ohhh.... Do you have a test with you?"

"Yes."

"Well then pee on the stick!"

"But I'm outside!"

"What the fuck?" He said laughing, "Why are you outside?"

"So Anthony wouldn't hear me!"

"Oh, well go in a bush!"

I looked around the yard spotting a rather big one that bloomed with vibrant yellow flowers in the spring.

"Stay on the phone with me?" I asked nervously.

"Of course."

I walked over to the bush, squatting behind it as I pulled my pants down. I ripped the test from the carton and placed it as stated.

"Okay.. Now I have to wait like three minutes or something."

"Sounds like you better double check the time." He laughed.

I smiled to myself, stood up and brought my pants up too. John hummed to me as we waited for the time to pass, and finally the results showed up.

"Oh God..." I said staring out at the ocean across the street. "Oh God."

"What?! What does it say?!"

"John... John, I'm pregnant." I broke down in quiet sobs.