80

Kaity drove me back to my apartment and served me some soup and crackers at my kitchen table. She stared me down for quite some time before she spoke.

"Lilly, this has to stop."

I swallowed some tomato soup, and looked up at her, a certain venom forming in my mouth. When I talked back, it dripped from my mouth.

"And what exactly am I doing that must be "stopped"?"

"You know exactly what, Kinks. The drinking, the crying, the no eating, the no.. showering."

I set my spoon down and leaned back in the chair slipping into a pout. I knew I had to, but I was perfectly fine with drowning myself to death in a bottle of vodka or tequila. Unfortunately, Kaity wouldn't have it.

She dug around in her pocket and pulled out a piece of paper. She slid it across the table and pointed to the heading. It read:

"Jack's Music Store Application For Work"

My eyes slipped up and down the lettering and spots to fill in, and then back at Kaity's tired face.

"No more waitressing and bar tending, but you have to work. Luckily, they're hiring."

Kaity stood up from her chair and slipped into her rain coat.

"I'll be by around 8 tomorrow morning to take you for a haircut. That- whatever it is- needs to go."

I watched her leave and then clutched my dark brown hair that fell an inch above my hips. Way to be my fucking mother, Kaity.

I showered quickly, brushed my hair and then went to bed. Sure enough, the next morning at exactly eight o'clock there was a knock on my door. I opened it, feeling a little hung over but still breathing. She came in and then took a look at me.

"Well, I'm glad to see your hair is cleaned. But you're skin and bones... and half naked."

She pulled me by my arm and into my closet where she pulled out a pair of sweat pants and an old college sweatshirt. She helped me dress myself and then as I put on my shoes she grabbed the music store application and soon enough drove me to the salon.

She forced me inside, and checked me in. I was in a chair quicker than I would've liked with someone wetting my hair with a bottle.

"How short?" A tall, busty Mexican woman asked.

"Collar bone length!" Kaity screamed from the lobby.

My heart dropped to the very bottom of my body. Collar bone? Oh God.

She chopped it all off and left me sitting in the chair with more than half of my hair dead on the floor. Kaity walked over and smiled.

"You look so cute!" She said cheerfully. I got up from the chair and stormed out.

"I look like a child."

When I got to the door, I stopped and turned around.

"Donate my hair to some wig place or something."