His Proposal - 98

Start from the beginning

Nate pulls me into a hug. "Thank you for telling me, Chloe." He rises and pulls me to my feet. "I want to know everything now."

So do I.

Nate and I walk into the living and I see Jai talking to his parents. They look at us as we enter the room.

Veronica looks at me and she says. "What's with the serious faces?"

I take a seat next to Jai and hold his hand. "I came across something in my parent's belongings. That links you to my family."

Veronica frowns. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"I will tell you the story of how our families know each other. A long time ago there were two families. They were close and they had a son a daughter named Chloe and Jai. They used to play together until Chloe's family were killed."

Ricky mumbles. "Impossible," he looks closely at me. "The James Family?"

Veronica rises and she looks at me. "Damn it," tears begin to fall down her face. "Why didn't I see the resemblance earlier. You look like Edith." She walks over to me and pulls me into a hug. "You're parents faked their own deaths to start anew from the agency, didn't they?"

"Yes," tears fall down my face too. "Mom and Dad faked our deaths because my life was endangered and they couldn't live with themselves if I died."

Veronica wipes the tears from my face. "I have pieces of my best friend in my life. If Edith was alive she would approve of this. When you were younger Edith and I planned on Jai and you getting married, but after your death, I knew the chances of my son getting married dwindled. You brought us hope when you walked into our place for the family to get together." She reaches out to her husband. "Ricky and I are going home tomorrow. We're going to organise the next family get together."

I smile. "I'm looking forward to it."

Jai looks at his parents. "There's something else that Chloe and I would like to tell you." I give him a nod and a smile spreads across his face as he says. "Chloe's pregnant."

Veronica screams.

I cover my ears with my hands as she continues to scream.

Ricky covers her mouth with his hand. "If I remove my hand will you be quiet?" She nods and he removes his hand from her mouth. "I'm glad you're moving onto the next step of your relationship. When's the wedding?"

"I was thinking about April 8th. The weather will be warm, but not too hot."

"Do you med help organising the wedding?"

I smile. "I would love some help, Veronica." The timer on the oven goes off. I rise. "The muffins are done. I will be right back." I walk to the kitchen and put oven mitts on and pull out the muffins.

Veronica walks into the kitchen and she looks at them. "Your mother used to make the best chic chip muffins. No one could make them as good as her." She sits on the stool. "I miss Edith so much. She was one of the people I could confide in when my family became too much for me."

I sit next to her on the stool. "Mom never found anyone to talk to. She kept her distance from many people, but I do know she missed you." I pull out a piece of paper. "I found this in Mom's Diary. It's for you."

Veronica opens the paper. "Did you read it?"

I shake my head.

She begins to read it out loud and the words make her cry. Mom was apologising to Veronica about leaving her and how they had to fake our deaths. Pretty much everything Mom wanted to say to Veronica was in the letter.

I'm glad Mom wrote something for her best friend.

***