His Proposal - 76

Start from the beginning

Veronica stops at the store as well. "Are we going in there?"

Aleysa grabs my hand and opens the door. "Yes, we're going to buy Chloe a wedding gown."

Looking at her, I say. "I'm not engaged..."

Aleysa says quietly. "... yet,"

I heard her say that clearly.

I knew she was up to something with Jai and I have a feeling that the secret will be revealed tonight and I'm looking forward to it.

I walk over to a section of dresses and I go through them until I find one that I like. I show the dress to Aleysa.

Her mouth drops. "That's beautiful." She claps her hands. "Hurry up and try it on."

Veronica walks over. "Did you find anything?"

"Yes, I'm going to try it on." I open the curtain for the change room. "Veronica?"

"Yeah, sweetheart,"

I peak out of the curtain. "I'm going to need your honest opinion on this dress."

She nods. "I will tell you the truth, Chloe."

Good! I thought. Knowing Aleysa she's going to love me in everything and that's going to be hard for me to chose a dress for something that's going to happen in a couple of years anyway. I just hope that I would still be able to fit in the dress if I buy it today.

I take off the jeans and shirt that I'm wearing. I put on the dress. It's a simple white gown that flows right down and it hugs my body nicely.

There's a lace at the back that needs to be tied.

I open the curtain. "Veronica, I need your help tying this up."

Veronica walks over to me and she asks me to turn around and I do. She ties the lace. She steps back and a smile spreads across her face. "You look absolutely beautiful in that dress."

Aleysa nods. "You do." She crosses her arms. "You don't need to try another dress on. That's yours there."

Looking at the price tag, it says €5000.

Damn, I can't afford that. I'm going to have to put it back.

Walking back to the change rooms, I quickly take the dress off and put it back on the coat hanger.

Veronica looks at me. "What are you doing?"

"I'm putting the dress back. I can't afford something as beautiful as that."

She shakes her head. "I'm not going to let my future daughter-in-law leave this store without the dress that was made for her." She whispers. "My son would kill me if I let his girl walk out of this store without buying the dress."

I look at the ground. "I can't let him continue to pay for things for me. I feel like I'm mooching off him."

Veronica places her hand on my shoulder. "You're not like the other girls he was with. All they cared about was getting the newest fashion. You hardly ever spend his money even though he's given you some credit cards and told you to buy whatever. Yet, you keep the cards in your wallet to gather dust."

"How do you know?"

"Jai, hates accountants, he nearly got robbed a few months back and he asked me to take over the job. I have noticed that his accounts keep rising and there's no money being taken out. She walks over to the counter and pays for the dress.

Aleysa stands next to me. "This was the best Birthday ever."

I put my hand on her shoulder. "The day isn't over yet. It could get better or..."

Aleysa covers my mouth. "Don't you dare say it, Chloe?"

We exit the store and spend the rest of the day looking around at the shops.

***