Chapter 99: Why The School Collapsed

MARCH 29, 2006

TOKYO, JAPAN

AT 5:00 PM 

                                                                                 MARIE 

I walked into the house with a bag of Chick-fil-A I bought from Daikoku American High School. The people were very nice to me even though I didn't go to that school. I was able to get two grilled chicken sandwiches for me and Light, some waffle fries, some fried chicken nuggets for Alex and Khloe, and some milkshakes. "Alright, everyone!" I called out. "I brought home Chick-fil-A." I heard Khloe bark and watched as she ran down the stairs. "Hey, Khloe," I greeted her. "How are you doing?" Khloe barked. I laughed after she did that. "Okay, okay," I said to her. "Let's eat some dinner now." I looked upstairs and called out, "Light! Ryuzaki! Alex! Dinner is here!" I heard the door to my room open and close. "Finally!" I heard Light exclaim. "What took you so long, Marie?" Ryuzaki asked. "I didn't wanna go into the school when it was still in session," I answered. "Now let's eat." 

A FEW MINUTES LATER...

                                                                                 MARIE 

I sat there at the table with Light, Ryuzaki, Alex, and Khloe as we ate our dinner. It's been a while since I had Chick-fil-A and I missed the food a lot. I didn't think that there would be a restaurant in every single Japanese-American School. I couldn't remember if my school had one or not. I think I should ask Mr. Mikami. "That's cool that Daikoku American High School has a Chick-fil-A," Light commented. "I didn't think they had that." I dipped my sandwich into the Chick-fil-A sauce. "Where did you go to school, Light?" I asked. I waited for Light to swallow the food in his mouth before he answered. "Daikoku Private Academy," he answered. I looked at Ryuzaki. "What about you, Ryuzaki?" I asked. "Where did you go to high school?" I watched as Ryuzaki took a bite of his milkshake. "I didn't go to high school," he answered. "I went to the school at the Wammy House, but I didn't graduate. I became a detective at the age of thirteen." Ryuzaki swallowed the food in his mouth. "How is your jaw feeling?" I asked. 

"Better," Ryuzaki answered. "It may be a little bit. Have you ever got your wisdom teeth removed?" I shook my head. "No," I answered. "Have you?" Ryuzaki nodded. "Yes," he answered. "It was bad. I couldn't eat anything but soft batched cookies and ice cream. I screamed in agony a lot and the dog started howling." "You had a dog?" I asked. Ryuzaki nodded. "Yes," he answered. "Well, it's Roger's dog. He has a basset hound named Clint named after Clint Eastwood." I watched as Ryuzaki continued to eat his milkshake with a spoon. I looked at Light as he continued to eat his grilled chicken sandwich. I watched as his eyes gazed at me. "What?" he asked. I shook my head. "It's nothing," I answered. "Just...thinking about stuff." I heard my phone ring. I got out my phone and saw that my cousin Ava was calling me. "Ava's calling," I muttered. "Who?" I heard Ryuzaki ask. "My cousin," I answered. I flipped my phone open and placed it up to my ear. "Hey," I greeted her. "Hey," Ava greeted me back. "What's up?" I asked. 

Ava stayed silent for a little bit. "We heard on the news that a boy in that school died," she answered. "Did you use to go there before it collapsed?" I nodded. "Yes, I did go to that school," I answered. "Did you tell everyone that the school collapsed before it eventually did?" I asked. "Yes," I answered. "I had a vision that the school was going to collapse." Ava stayed silent for a few seconds. "Wow," she let out. "That's...insane. Anyway, I was only calling you just to tell you that we're worried about you. Everyone's worried about you. Cheri, Nana, Pop-Pop, Daddy, Brent, and all of the people at church. We're talking about Kira in Sunday school." I stayed silent for a few seconds. "Do you think Kira is the Anti-Christ?" I asked. I looked at Light and saw him look at me with a surprised-angry look on his face. I brought my phone away and covered the speaker.