Chapter Seventeen: Misa Amane and What Really Happened to Her

JANUARY 19, 2006

AROUND 4:00 PM 

SHIBUYA CITY IN TOKYO, JAPAN

                                                                            MARIE 

I walked into the Shibuya Mental Asylum I read about in the newspaper that Light gave me so I could find out if the person they were talking about was really Misa or not. To avoid suspicion, I placed on some black scrubs that a nurse would wear and placed a piece of paper in an empty badge that went into my pocket. "Hello," I said as I went up to the front desk. The lady at the front desk looked at me. "I'm a new nurse here and I would like to check on the patient here who used to be a Kira worshipper," I continued. "Of course," the lady at the front desk said before handing me a beige folder that had lots of papers in it. "She's in the room in the middle of the building, sweetie," the lady continued as she gave me a key to the room that this person was staying in. "And also, please be careful," the lady warned me. "She can get very suspicious about new workers and all. Plus, she doesn't get any visits from family and friends just so you know so please don't do anything to upset her." "Thank you," I said. "Don't mention it," the lady replied. 

I walked through the mental asylum and saw some really messed up people. People who looked like they were possessed and looked like they were demons from the horror movies from the 1900s (from 1900-1999). I mustered up every ounce of courage I had in my body because I knew that I had to go and see her. I hoped that the person they were talking about was Misa Amane and that the rumors were true. With each step I took, I knew that I would be getting closer and closer to finding out the truth about what really happened to Misa Amane. 

                                                                          MISA 

I held a picture of my precious Light in my hands and wondered how much longer it would take for me to live in this world without him. Tears began to flood down my eyes as I hugged Light's picture close to me. That's when I opened my eyes and saw something on the TV. A nurse was coming to my room. I dried my tears and watched as the nurse came down the hallway and got closer to my room. As I looked at this nurse, there seemed to be something different with her. I knew every nurse who came to me whenever it was time for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, but not this nurse. I've never seen her around before. I raised an eyebrow in confusion as I saw her stop right at my door. I turned my head and looked away from the TV and heard the door rattling. Once it was fully unlocked, the new nurse entered the room with a beige folder in her hands. 

"Misa Amane?" she asked. I nodded. "Yes," I answered. "But who are you?" The new nurse came up to me. "You may not know me, but I've been investigating your case for a while now," she told me. "My name is Mina Martinez and I just moved here so I could learn more about what happened to you and if the rumors on the news were true." "Why were you curious about what really happened to me?" I asked in a rude tone. "And how come there's been no talk about you? Every time there's a new doctor or nurse here, everybody is talking about him or her! You just show up out of the blue with no talk about you at all! How do I know you're not a government spy?" "I understand, Misa," the nurse said softly which reminded me of someone that I used to know but couldn't remember. "The doctors around here told me that you didn't have enough company from family and friends, so I decided that checking up on you would be the first thing I would have done when I was hired." 

"I get plenty of company here from a lot of doctors and nurses, Miss Martinez," I responded with a bad attitude. "And also, why would you wanna become a nurse just so you could figure out what happened to me? I already told Chief Matsuda and Commander Aizawa that I didn't wanna be found! In fact, you should think that I'm dead, and besides, who on the news told you that I was awaiting my death in a mental hospital?" "Well," the nurse began. "I don't really remember who told me those rumors that you were still alive, but I remember hearing them back when I was still in high school last year. That's why I became a nurse right after I graduated high school and I decided to go to college here in Tokyo..." "So you're STILL going to college?" I rudely interrupted. "Just so you can figure out what happened to me?! I told you that I didn't want to be found and also, to you,... I should be dead." "I understand that you're hurting right now, Miss Misa,..."