Pre-Chapter Forty-Seven: Great News!

FEBRUARY 7, 2006

AT 12:00 PM

TOKYO, JAPAN 

                                                                                      MARIE

I was at a pizza restaurant eating a small bowl of Caesar salad as I waited for my pizza. I sighed as I waited patiently for a news update or anything news from the police. For the whole day, I have never heard anything. No news about them getting better, no news about anyone in the hospital, nothing. It was stressful, but I knew that I had to wait. I got another bite of my Caesar salad and chewed on it. I then heard Khloe whimpering right before I looked down at her. I slightly grinned at her as I rowed another meatball towards her. I watched as Khloe devoured the meatball and went back to eating the rest of my Caesar salad. Just then, a waitress came up to me. "Hey," she told me. Khloe and I looked at her. "Marie, right?" the waitress asked. I nodded. "Yes," I answered. "Good," the waitress told me. "I know that this isn't the greatest thing to have to tell you...but your pizza...it fell when we were getting it out of the oven." 

I was not expecting to hear that. "Oh," I said in disappointment. "Anyway," the waitress began. "I'll make you a new one and we'll make sure that we won't drop it this time." I smiled. "Thanks very kind of you," I told the waitress. "Anyway, do you think we can get some more meatballs and another small bowl of Caesar salad?" I watched as the waitress nodded. "Sure," she answered. "Woof!" Khloe barked. "Okay," the waitress chuckled. "Anyway, do you want some more Coke?" I shook my head. "No," I answered. "I'll just have water please." "Okay," she said. "I'll be back with your stuff pretty soon." "Thank you," I told the waitress right before she walked away. I sat there for a few seconds waiting in vain for an update. Had my spell even worked? Why isn't there anything on the news yet? I cast that spell right. I thought to myself.

Just then, I noticed that someone sat across from me at the table. "Hey, Marie," I heard a guy say. I looked at the guy's face and instantly recognized him as Mr. Mikami. "Oh," I let out. "Mr. Mikami." I looked around for Ms. Hirota, but I couldn't find her anywhere. "Where's Ms. Hirota?" I asked. "She's out with Cindy and Lily," Mr. Mikami answered. "Principal Mizuki's wife and daughter." "Oh," I said as I nodded my head. "Anyway, I've heard that you are enjoying work so far," Mr. Mikami told me. I nodded again. "Yes," I replied. "However, Blair has been giving us a hard time." Mr. Mikami shrugged it off. "Oh, pay no attention to her," he reminded me. "She's always trying to give people attention. And I should know because she's in my 7th Period class. I've also heard that she doesn't really care for those demonic possession horror movies. At least, that's what her mom says." 

"Huh," I let out as I made a confused look on my face. "Anyway," Mr. Mikami began. "I have some great news." I listened closely to what Mr. Mikami had to say. "What is it?" I asked. "Chief Matsuda and Commander Aizawa have an update on all of the students. It seems that everyone's condition had seemed to get better overnight." I dropped my jaw once I heard this. It worked. It worked! My spell had seemed to work after all! Everyone's going to be okay. I thought to myself. I softly exhaled through my mouth as a smile came on my face. "Is it true?" I asked. "They all got better?" Mr. Mikami nodded. "Yes," he answered. "It even surprised Chief Matsuda and Commander Aizawa that their chances of a full recovery are ninety-nine percent." "Yes!" I said out loud. "I knew that they would..." I then watched as Mr. Mikami's smile faded. "Everyone," he began. "Except for Principal Mizuki's condition." 

My smile faded and I heard Khloe whimpering. "What?" I asked in disbelief since I was really confused about why it worked on everyone else except for him. "Why hasn't his condition gotten any better yet?" Mr. Mikami shook his head. "I'm not sure," he answered. "The nurses aren't going to pull his plug just yet, but they're going to wait and see if anything changes. If nothing else happens, then they'll pull the plug." I watched as Mr. Mikami's eyes got teary and he looked as if he was about to cry. "Sorry," he told me. "Principal Mizuki and I have been close friends ever since my freshman year of college back in the fall of 1996. He and Cindy were still dating at the time. He was in the exchange student program from here to MCC in Waco."