Chapter 83 (PART ONE): Ghostface Calling

FEBRUARY 28, 2006

TOKYO, JAPAN

AT 4:50 PM 

                                                                                    MARIE 

I was busy putting on my Ghostface costume when I heard someone walk into the room. I heard someone knock on the door. I turned and looked at the person who knocked on the door even though it was open. It was Light! "Alright, Marie," he began. "It seems everyone is getting prepared to help you defeat Rina." "Good," I commented. "We're gonna need everyone's help due to what's gonna happen tonight." I turned back and looked in the mirror as I fixed up my outfit. "I'm guessing you're dressing up as Ghostface to hide from Isamu and the biker gang, right?" Light asked. I shook my head. "No," I answered. "I had something other in mind." "Oh, is that so?" Light asked. I nodded. "Uh-huh," I answered. "What do you have in mind?" Light asked. 

AT 5:00 PM...

                                                                           NEAR (NATE RIVER) 

I was busy building something with the matches as Commander Rester talked on the phone with Commander Aizawa. "So, is there any update on Chief Matsuda?" I heard Commander Rester ask. "No? Well, that's bad. I hope he's found safe." A pause. "Okay," Commander Rester told Commander Aizawa. "We'll see you in a few. Bye." I heard Commander Rester hang up on the phone. I turned around and looked at him. "Any word about Chief Matsuda?" I asked. Commander Rester sighed and shook his head. "No," he answered. "Although, some Goth girl came in with an interesting story. She said that she knew the current Kira and he or she kidnapped Chief Matsuda." I gasped and made a surprised look on my face. Could that have been who I thought it was? Was it Marie? Or was it just a coincidence? "That's crazy," I heard Gevanni say. "How did something that happened?" 

"The girl had text messages on her phone from the current Kira telling her that she was going to be raped tonight," Commander Rester answered. My heart sank after I heard that. Why would the current Kira tell that Goth girl something like that? And who was this Goth girl that they were talking about? "That's terrible," Lidner commented. "Poor thing. Why would Kira do something like this?" Commander Rester shrugged. "I don't know," he answered. "That girl must know who Kira is." "Do you think that's true?" Gevanni asked. "I don't know," Commander Rester answered. "I hope not." "I hope not either," I told them. "I made a friend here and she's a Goth. I don't know if the current Kira knows her, but I hope that it's not the case." All of a sudden, my phone started ringing. I thought it was weird that someone was calling me, but I thought that it was Marie. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and saw that the caller ID wasn't on display. "Huh," I let out. "An unknown number?" Stupidly, I flipped open the phone and accepted the call. 

"Hello," I greeted the person on the phone. "Hello," I heard a familiar voice that sounded like it came from a horror movie. "Is L there?" I made a confused look on my face. "What are you talking about?" I asked. "Well, pardon me for my call," the other person on the phone answered. "I've been meaning to get in touch with L about something very important." "What kind of important thing are you trying to get in touch with him?" I asked. "Uh, I don't know if you know all of this, but it's been going on ever since the late '90s," the person on the phone answered. "L comes to Japan with the hope of catching Kira, but in the end doesn't catch Kira." I scoffed. "You must watch the anime or must have seen the school play at Paradise Waterpark," I told the person on the phone. "Now, who is this?" "I'm just a sucker who has a thing for scary movies," the person on the phone answered. "Near, who is that?" Lidner asked. I signaled Commander Rester and Gevanni to pitch in on the call. 

The call was transferred to the TV so that everyone could hear the voice of the person who was talking to me. "So tell me," the person on the phone began. "Do you like scary movies? And what's your favorite scary movie?" "I don't like scary movies," I answered. "I prefer Disney movies from the 80s and the 90s." I paused for a second. "What about you?" I asked. "What's your favorite scary movie?" "Guess," the person on the phone answered. "This guy sounds just like Ghostface," I heard Gevanni say. I widened my eyes and gasped. "Ghostface?" I asked. I made a serious face. "Why are you pretending to be Ghostface?" I asked. "Who said that I was pretending to be Ghostface?" the person on the phone asked. I sighed in annoyance. "If you have nothing better to do, then please call someone else," I responded. "If you hang up on me, you'll die at the hands of Kira!" the person on the phone barked. I made a scared look on my face. "Do you wanna die, Near?" the other person on the phone asked. "Or should I say...Nate River?" 

I gasped and dropped my phone on the ground. "How did he know my name?" I asked quietly. 

                                                                               LIDNER (HALLE BULLOOK) 

I went up to Near as he seemed terrified. "Near, are you okay?" I asked. "I hope he is," we all heard the fake Ghostface say. "Because if you step outside this building, I will kill all of you before Kira can get to you!" We all stood there scared after what the fake Ghostface said. I picked up the phone and placed it on my ear. "Nice try," I told the fake Ghostface. "But you don't know where we are." The fake Ghostface scoffed. "Too bad," I heard them say. "What do you mean by that?" I asked. "It's quite unfortunate," the fake Ghostface answered. "Why?" I asked. Silence filled the other end of the phone for a few seconds until the fake Ghostface answered us. "I'm outside the building right now." I gasped once I heard that. "Rester! The security cameras!" I cried out. I watched as Rester showed us what was going on outside the building and saw a person in a Ghostface costume right at the front door. 

"He's outside!" I heard Near cry. "What are we going to do?" I asked in a panicked tone. I heard Rester and Gevanni click their guns. "Looks like we'll have to take that maniac out if he or she tries anything funny," Rester answered. "Good thing this person doesn't know about the advanced technology this building has. This imposter shouldn't know about the hand scanner since it's covered up. Without it, we won't be able to get out of this building unless we bust a window. Chances are that this girl or guy will..." Suddenly, we saw the fake Ghostface smash the hand scanner with a sledgehammer. We all gasped once we saw that. "No! No! No!" Rester cried out. "We gotta stop Ghostface before he or she destroys the hand scanner!" We all ran to the front door with the hope of stopping that lunatic, but once we got to the front door, we couldn't open it. 

                                                                                  NEAR (NATE RIVER)

"Can you open the door?" I asked. I watched as Commander Rester and Gevanni tried their best to open the door but to no avail. "It won't open!" Gevanni said to us. "The hand scanner must be broken off the wall!" Commander Rester added. I watched as Commander Rester and Gevanni gave up since there was no way out of there without the help of law enforcement or busting a window. I turned and looked to the left corner of the room. "Hmm?" I asked when I noticed something. "What's this?" We all went up to the boxes in the left corner of the room. The smell of good food filled my nostrils. "Is it just me or does that smell good?" I asked. Commander Rester and Gevanni approached the boxes. There were seven boxes in total and it all smelt like one thing. "I don't remember ordering a pizza," Commander Rester commented. "Neither do I," Gevanni added. "I didn't do it," I told my coworkers. "We know you didn't," Lidner said approaching the boxes of pizza. "Maybe it must have been a prank call." 

Gevanni picked up a note that was on the pizza box. "I thought that y'all might have been hungry so I ordered quite a bit of pizza for you all," he read out loud. "And don't worry, I don't poison food. Ghostface prefers to kill his/her victims with a knife, not by poisoning them. It's super lame. Anyway, enjoy the pizza, crazy bread, and the cheesy bread. Yours truly, Ghostface." We watched as Commander Rester and Gevanni opened the top box. "How did someone get to a Little Caesar's here in Japan?" I asked. "I thought they were all closed down in 2004." I watched as Gevanni took a slice of pizza and ate it. "Mmm," he let out. "This pizza is so good." We all stood there hoping that the fake Ghostface wasn't lying. "Huh," Gevanni let out after he finished with the bite he had in his mouth. "It's not poisoned after all." Commander Rester looked at us. "Well," he began. "Let's dig in!" 

MEANWHILE...

                                                                                MARIE 

I took off my Ghostface mask and sighed as I continued to watch through one of Light's small crystal balls. "Well, that was close," I commented. "Close?" Light asked. "That was genius. Going back to America just to order some food from Little Caesar's and come back before you destroyed their only key out of that building. That was the best thing you've ever done as Kira so far." I placed my Ghostface mask in my purse. "I hope I never have to scare Near like that again," I commented. "Anyway, let's go save Ms. Hirota."