Chapter 77: The White Van Follows

FEBRUARY 25, 2006

TOKYO, JAPAN

AT 9:30 AM 

                                                                               MINAKO (MS. HIROTA) 

"It's awfully kind of you to invite me for lunch, Jenny," I said to her on the phone. "I've been listening to the CD that Marie made for me ever since I got it." "Well, isn't Marie just a sweetheart?" I heard Jenny ask. "My dear Sammy had lunch with her last week. They went out to get some pizza and I was hoping that we could get some pizza too." "Mmm," I let out. "Pizza sounds so good." I heard Jenny laugh. "Anyway, now that Sam and Sky are back in Kyoto, I guess I'm on my own again," she told me. "All that I've got is Misa Misa and Pichu until they come home." "Well, at least they're not in prison like Kaito is," I said to Jenny. "I'm gonna have to wait five years for him to be released from prison." "Hopefully he'll be released early," I heard Jenny say. "I can't believe everything that happened. "For what it's worth, Kaito doesn't deserve to be in prison." "You're right," I said as I tried not to get emotional. "Kaito doesn't deserve to be locked up. He didn't mean to hurt Geffrey, his emotions just got the better of him. Anyway, would it be okay if I bring Niko along? I'm sure that..." 

All of a sudden, I heard Taro barking. "What in the...?" I asked. "What?" I heard Jenny ask. "What's going on?" "Taro," I answered. "Jenny, I'm gonna have to call you back." I hung up the phone and ran downstairs. "Taro!" I called out. Taro continued to bark. "Hey, what's going on?" I asked as I approached him. "Why are you barking so much?" Taro continued to bark and I ended up opening the window curtain. I gasped once I saw a white van parked outside. I looked inside the white van from my window and saw a guy with a ski mask on looking at me. What the hell? Why is there a guy with a ski mask looking at me? And why is he in a white van? I thought to myself as I panicked. I quickly closed the curtains as Taro continued to bark and I dialed 199. "Hello," I greeted the dispatcher in a panicked tone. "This is Minako Hirota! Kaito Mikami's girlfriend! Please tell Chief Matsuda to come over here!" 

AT 12:00 PM 

                                                                                   MARIE 

I was at an American diner with Christy and I was happy to be with her. "So, how's Khloe?" she asked. "She's good," I answered. "We're all good. Just feeling lonely without you." "Aw," Christy let out. "That's sweet." That's when the waitress walked up to us and handed us our drinks. "Okay," she said. "Here's your Sprite." I watched as she handed me the Sprite. "And here's your water," she said to Christy as she handed her a glass of water. "Thank you," Christy told the waitress. "Thank you," I said to the waitress because I didn't want to be mean. "Anyway, have you two decided what you'd want to eat?" "Yes," Christy answered. "I will have the grilled chicken sandwich with French fries." "Excellent choice," the waitress told us. "And for you?" "I'll have the same, but with Onion rings instead of fries." "Sounds delicious," the waitress said as she wrote this down on her notepad. "Anyway, your meals will be ready shortly." The waitress left us alone after she took our order. 

Christy and I looked back at each other. "So how's Steve?" I asked. "He's good," Christy answered. "Only except...we haven't kissed yet." "Oh," I let out. "Well, you don't wanna rush it. Just take it slow and he'll kiss you. Slow and steady always wins the race." "Take it slow," Christy said out loud. "That sounds about right. I guess I should do that." I chuckled. "Anyway," Christy continued. "There's this girl who pokes her head around every once in a while. Her name is Daiya." I made a look on my face as if I heard something familiar. "Daiya Demegawa?" I asked. "That's right," Christy answered. "I guess I shouldn't be surprised since Daiya is very famous. Anyway, she's a Kira worshipper and she's pretty much a diva." I snorted after Christy said that. "What's that supposed to mean?" Christy asked. "Daiya doesn't seem like a nice person," I answered. "Well, you don't know her," Christy reminded me. "I don't know her all that well, but she's probably very nice once you get to know her. My boss, Yuri doesn't like her, but I'm sure she can't be that bad."