Chapter 92: Vincent's Return and a Baby On The Way

MARCH 11, 2006

TOKYO, JAPAN

EVENING 

                                                                                      MARIE 

I flipped through the booklet that Debra gave me. In the book, I saw all of the main Yotsuba workers. (The new ones, that is.) I was surprised to see that they were all women and that there wasn't a single man who wasn't a vice president.

The first picture I saw was of a woman named Debra Salt. She was the one who revived Yotsuba in 2005. I got this strange feeling looking at her. It was as if there was something off about her. Maybe it was because she wasn't that nice to me. Then again, I've dealt with mean people before and I never got that kind of feeling with them.

The next woman I saw was a woman named Brenda Salt. She was the daughter of Debra Salt and the head of the technology department. I also got this strange feeling when I looked at her. There was something about Brenda Salt and Debra Salt that made me feel weird. I didn't know what it was, but this feeling bothered me. 

However, when I looked at the other women, I didn't get that weird feeling about them, but what I did notice something. They all had last names with the same people who worked at Yotsuba before them. Everyone except for Vincent's mother. These other women not only had the same last names as the people who used to work with Yotsuba but they were also related to the people who used to work with the old  Yotsuba group. Everyone except for Higuchi and Namikawa. Unlike the old Yotsuba group, there was nothing strange about them. 

I heard the door opening. "What are you doing?" I heard Light ask. I turned around in my seat and looked at him. "Nothing," I answered. "Just reading a new book." "Uh-huh," Light let out. "Are you hungry? I can make some homemade chicken and waffles." "Mmm," I let out. "Chicken and waffles sound nice," I answered. "Anyway, what about Ryuzaki? What's he gonna eat for dinner?" "He still has two and a half jiggly cheesecakes," Light answered. "He'll be fine. Anyway, it may take a little while so...maybe Ryuzaki can offer you some of his sweets or I can fancy you to my appetizers." I shrugged. "Maybe," I said out loud. "Anyway, hang tight," Light said to me before he walked downstairs. I turned my attention back to my computer desk and continued reading the booklet. I wanted to investigate the new Yotsuba, but I wasn't a cop. So I had no reason to. I could have used Light's crystal ball, but he would more than likely not be very happy if I used his crystal ball without his permission. 

I continued to sit there trying to think about what to do when I heard someone knock on the door. I turned around in my seat and saw Ryuzaki there. "Hey," I greeted him. "Good evening," Ryuzaki greeted me. I just sat there not knowing what to say to Ryuzaki. "There's cheesecake for you in the fridge," I said to him. "I'm aware," Ryuzaki said to me. "Light's making some waffles." I looked at Ryuzaki in the eyes. "Do you want some waffles?" I asked. Ryuzaki shrugged. "Maybe," he answered. "I don't like fried chicken." I nodded. "Okay," I said to him. Ryuzaki walked into my room. "So, what are you up to?" he asked. "What kind of book are you reading?" "Did you know that Yotsuba has returned?" I asked. Ryuzaki looked at me with a confused look on his face. "Yotsuba has returned?" he asked. "Not the old Yotsuba with Higuchi, but the new Yotsuba," I answered. "Some American woman and her daughter revived Yotsuba last year. It died in 2001 after all of Higuchi's coworkers died, but this woman revived it." 

"And what?" Ryuzaki asked. "Is there any suspicious activity going on?" "No," I answered. "I mean I hope not. It's just that I have this weird feeling about the woman and her daughter who revived Yotsuba." I handed Ryuzaki the booklet and watched as he read it for a few seconds. "Debra Stone and Brenda Stone," he said out loud. I watched as Ryuzaki lowered the booklet and looked at me. "What seemed so suspicious about them?" he asked. "Well, Debra did act all weird when I mentioned Higuchi," I answered. "But I haven't met Brenda yet so I can't say for sure." "Do you want to investigate them?" Ryuzaki asked. "No," I answered. "Or...I don't know. They haven't done anything wrong." I stopped before I could say anything else. "I hope that they haven't done anything wrong," I corrected myself. Ryuzaki handed me back my booklet. "What do you think I should do?" I asked Ryuzaki. He sighed. "Nothing if they haven't done anything wrong," Ryuzaki answered. "This may all just be one big coincidence. I wouldn't worry about it since your main focus is to kill the person who's been killing all of your friends." I stayed silent for a moment and Ryuzaki gave me this look as if he wasn't so sure if I was right. "That is your main goal, right?" he asked. I nodded. "Yes," I answered. "I guess we'll wait for dinner to go over what we already know."