Chapter 91: Vincent's Letter and the New Yotsuba

MARCH 11, 2006

TOKYO, JAPAN

AT 9:00 AM

                                                                                   MARIE

I was at my computer desk writing a letter to Vincent. I knew that I had to tell him that his baby sister hadn't been born yet. Other than that, I didn't know what else to say to him. I could tell him about the masked man, but I wasn't so sure if I wanted to tell him that because I didn't want to freak him out. I began writing the letter and it went like this:

"Dear Vincent,

I'm doing okay. Everything is pretty much good here in Japan. I have no idea when you guys are coming back, but I just wanted to say that your mother has not given birth to your baby sister yet. She said that she had a few more checkups before the big day. Anyway, how is the new Yotsuba? I'm sure it's better without Kyosuke Higuchi there. Anyway, the Cinderella play was good. By the way, do you know of a girl named Cinder? I had a vision about her lately. I saw her break her arm while trying to get out of the school when it was collapsing. Luckily, Cinder didn't die. She was safe. I don't know what this means, but I don't want to talk about this now. Instead, let's talk about this when we get back. Oh! And before I forget, please tell Ryuk that I said, "Hi." back.

Thanks.

Yours truly,

Marie"

Once I finished writing the letter, I decided to mail the letter with a spell so that it would make it to Seoul in time before tomorrow.

MEANWHILE...

                                                                           VINCENT

I was in a hotel room with Ryuk waiting for Marie's letter to come back when a piece of paper came under the TV. "Huh?" I heard Ryuk ask. I looked at the paper under the TV. "That's gotta be a letter from Marie," Ryuk said to me. I rushed to the TV and collected the paper. I unfolded it and read Marie's letter. I sighed in relief knowing that my mother didn't have the baby yet. I continued to read Marie's letter and got confused when she asked me about a girl named Cinder. "I don't know of a girl named Cinder," I said to myself. "Cinder?" I heard Ryuk ask. "That's what she said," I answered. "What else did she write?" I heard Ryuk ask. "She's asking if Yotsuba has changed without Higuchi," I answered. I heard Ryuk take a step closer to me. "I never thought about Yotsuba ever since Light killed all of the members after he killed Wedy and Aiber," I heard him say. I turned around and looked at them. "Who were they?" I asked. "They were teammates of L, or as you might know him by the name Ryuzaki," Ryuk answered. "Aiber was a conman and Wedy was a cat burglar." I was baffled to hear this. The original L worked with criminals? How could that be?

"They were both killed by Kira in 2001," Ryuk continued. "You were like...fifteen. No, fourteen when they died. I remember that you were born in October of 1987." "October 30th," I corrected Ryuk. "October 30, 1987, at midnight. I have the whole day to myself." "And it's that close to Halloween," Ryuk added. "I wish Gods and Goddesses of Death had birthdays. We don't even remember our past lives. Before Light came back as a Shinigami, I had no idea that humans who've used the Death Note could return as Gods or Goddesses of Death. I have no idea how the Shinigami King found favor with Light and I unfortunately never will. I just can't see why the old man would want to bring him back from the grave. There are so many Death Note users throughout history who may or may not have come back as one of us. It always makes me wonder who I was as a human. Who I was and what name I went by. When I received the Death Note. Where I lived. Why I chose to continue writing names in the Death Note and how the Shinigami King would have chosen a soul like me to return as a Shinigami. I could see why Rem would be chosen by the Shinigami King. She has a very beautiful soul. She cared for a human enough to die for her and someone like Light would lie to me."